CAMBRIDGESHIRE

  Burrough Green  Barrington  Bassingbourne  Cheveley Conington   Dullingham  Ely Cathedral Fulbourn Landwade Harlton  Isleham Orwell  Rampton  Stretchworth Trumpington Wimple
Barrington - All Saints
Constance Gyles (1663) Wife of Thomas Gyles, Clerk Richard Bendyshe (1777) Thomas Bendyshe (1684)

Robert (1687) & Margaret Bendyshe (1673)

Burrough Green
St Augustine
Left: General view of the de Burgh monuments
Above: John Ingoldqesthorpe (1361-1420) & Elizabeth de Burgh (1421) She was heiress to Burrough Green
John de Burgh (1300-1330) He became a monk in 1328 and left the estates to his brother Thomas John de Burgh (1328-1395) & 2nd wife Catharine (Engayne) (1409) Possibly son of Thomas; his first wife was Mary Grey Thomas de Burgh (1334)
The above designations are speculative.

Bassingbourne
 SS Peter & Paul
Cheveley
St Mary and the Holy Host of Heaven
Conington - St Mary

Henry Buller (1647) Black marble
slab on chancel floor with figure in
white (shown)
Also: Turpin Family Brass made in
1683 but commemorating forebears
of the 15th C.

Simon Folkes (1642)
 
Left:  Robert Cotton (1697) by Grinling Gibbons (signed)
Right: Dame Alice Cotton (1657)by Josua Marshall
The above are two of eight monuments in shallow niches
in the nave.
Also:- Frances & Mary Askham (1748) with two profile
medallions
Dullingham - St Mary
Henrietta Viscountess Gormanston (1826)  signed by Richard Westmacott.
She married firstly, Anthony 11th Viscountess Gormanston and secondly the Lt Gen opposite
Lt Gen Christopher Jeaffreson (1824) by Richard Westmacott

 

Ely Cathedral

There is an admission charge but no extra charge for photography.
Park in the free car park very close to the Cathedral
Nave & Aisles The Cloisters North Chancel Aisle East End South Chancel Aisle Choir  North Porch
Nave & Aisles


Alan of Walsingham large slab with almost obliterated brass indent

Dr Hodge-Mill (1853) copper effigy (electro-plated) on tomb chest of alabaster and mosaic; designed by Sir G G Scott, executed by Philip. He taught in India and was later Professor of Hebrew at Cambridge; the figures at hyyyyyis feet represent an Indian and an English student.

Bishop Woodford (1885)  by Bosley. He founded Ely Theological College

The Cloisters

 

W. Pickering and R Edgar (1845) killed in accident on Norwich to Ely railway. Slab with poem 'The Spiritual Railway'. In the remains of the cloister against nave wall.

Humphrey Smith (1743) bust in oval medallion on which rests putto, grey obelisk behind; designed by John Sanderson carved by Charles Stanle. Actually in south porch, leading from remains of cloister.

 

North Chancel Aisle 

 

Dean Caesar (1636)  painted alabaster

Bishop Fleetwood (1723) Inscription; signed by E Stanton & Co Horsnaile

Top: Bishop Nigellus (?) (1169) Tounai marble Coffin shaped slap carved in very low relief which was found below floor of St Mary's church in 1829. The bishop is shown as a naked soul in a napkin held by a larger angel. Above the head is incised: St. Michael oret P[ro] Me.and a carving of the church he founded.

 
Bottom:
Unknown Bishop headless effigy in higher relief with a goose at feet. This effigy has been attributed with little evidence to Hugh of Lincoln who is said to have owned a pet goose! 

Canon Fleetwood (1737)  by P Scheemakers

Above Left Top: Bishop Redman (1506) effigy on paneled tomb chest with canopy  and  above right: the canopy from the choir.h
Above Left Bottom: Bishop Hugh of Northwold (1254) The three figures at the foot show the story of St Edmund



Above: Bishop Laney (1675) black and white marble.





George Basevi (1845)
Brass to the architect who designed the FitzWilliam Museum in Cambridge. He is shown with the tools of his profession. He fell to his death while inspecting the West Tower of the Cathedral.

Above left: St  Etheldreda's Shrine remains of capitals below a superstructure which is said to be either a 14th century new casing of the shrine or perhaps the canopy part of Bishop's Hotham's monument . The ground stage has blank ogee arches.
Above right: Bishop Patrick (1707) . By E Stanton.

Right: Bishop Kilkenny ( 1257) Purbeck marble effigy, flanked by columns carrying trefoil canopy, on tomb shaped slab; angels in the spandrels. Higher relief again

 

East End

Bishop Alcock's Chantry (1501) This was begun as early as 1488. The effigy is high up on the north wall on the widow ledge so difficult to see although looks in poor condition; the tomb chest is below being without an effigy. The chapel has fan vaulting and wrought iron gates with the original lock.

Cardinal de Luxemboug (1443) effigy on tomb chest with quatrefoils enclosing shields and with canopy

Bishop West's Chantry (1534) Again this was made early - in 1525-33. A less elaborate exterior but again with wrought iron gates which themselves are actually more elaborate than those of Bishop Alcock's chapel. Bishop West opposed King Henry VIII's divorce from Kathryn of Aragon and hence fell from favour. Inside are recorded  the reburial in the south wall of several chests containing bones of the following Anglo-Saxon Bishops - Wulstan  (York), Osmund (Swedish), Alwin (Elmham), Aelfgar (Elmham), Ednorth (Dorchester - on - Thames) and Athelstan (Elmham) and Brithnoth, Earl of Essex.

Bishop Sparke (1836) brass on the floor of Bishop West's chantry. Similar brass but covered so not identified. (not shown)

South Chancel Aisle
Left Top: Bishop Hotham (1337) tomb chest with arcades which were once filled with statuettes, only one of which survives. The effigy - now lost - was of alabaster. The former canopy may  now be part of St Ethelreda's shrine (see above)
Left Bottom: Canon Selwyn (1875) - of Selwyn College and Selwyn Divinity School in Cambridge. Recumbent effigy
Centre:
John Tiptoff, Earl of Worcester (executed 1470), and Wives Effigies on tomb chest with quatrefoils with shields with canopy
Right :
Bishop Peter Gunning (1684) Semi-relining effigy, head propped up by arm. Rests on tomb chest which has no backing. His ledger stone is shown below -
Left Top: Bishop Barnett (1374) plain tomb chest with two tiers of quatrefoils, brass lost from fragmented top.
Left Bottom: Bishop Goodrich (1554) brass, the surround is only preserved as an indent. He followed Bishop West and assisted in Henry VIII's divorce and decreed, in 1541, that images, relics, shrines and table monuments were to be 'totally demolished and obliterated'
Centre:
Dean Tyndall (1614) brass
Right: Bishop Heton (1609) alabaster; recumbent effigy in front of two black columns
Left: Bishop William de Luda (1299) Canopy only - although very fine - but no tomb chest. You can 'walk through' the canopy from choir to aisle. On the floor under the canopy is a brass matrix of a bishop.  Through the arch can be seen the monument of Bishop Heton
Centre Top: Sir Robert Steward (1570) semi-reclining effigy in armour, propping head up with his arm. Tuscan columns carrying a pediment Bogus heraldry
Centre Bottom: Black ledger stone of Bishop Peter Gunning
Right: Sir Mark Steward (1603) six poster with top obelisks; recumbent effigy.Brother of Robert above. Bogus heraldry and pedigree proclaiming descent from the royal house of Stuart
Left: Bishop Greene (1738) standing wall monument with two columns flanking urn
Centre Top:
Bishop Butts (1748) portrait bust on monument of coloured marbles. To the left are the low relief profiles of Canon Michael Glazebrook DD and his wife, Ethel (both 1926); to the right is the tablet to Prebendary James Bentham (1771) who wrote the History of Ely
Centre Bottom:
Bishop Allen (1814) semi-reclining white marble effigy by I Termouth
Right:
Bishop Moore (1714) two putti on either side of inscription plate with urn on top

Choir

Prior Crauden (1341) original stone work with renewed brass

Bishop Hotham similar but probably nineteenth century

North Porch

Several tablets have been moved from the transepts to this porch. There are also a few minor tablets in the church and several stones and brass matrices, which will be catalogued in due course.

top of page

Fulbourne
St Vigor
John Careway (1441) Rector of Fulbourne
Edward Wood (1599) & Elizabeth Chichele Separate to the main part of the monument is a frieze on corbels and achievement. No inscription but arms of Chichele and Clopton; Edwards's mother, Elizabeth, was the daughter and heiress of Edward Clopton

Isleham - St Andrew
The church is unlocked during daylight hours. You may park free in the village TL 643 743
Nave   Chancel
Nave
Above: Ethelreda Moody (1733) (?) and three children buried in the same vault: Robert, Ethelreda and M____
Right:
Ada Jane Watson ( 1856) female figure reading book on plinth and under canopy; inscription below. South wall of south aisle.

Chancel
Far Right: Thomas Peyton (1484) and Two Wives He in armour: brasses on tomb chest; shields from front gone. Behind is recess with paneling under arch; heraldry. The brasses are illustrated in Pevsner.
    North Chapel 
 
 
Left:  Barbarie Themilthorpe (1619) Mounted high on east wall. She lies on her side with her hand under her cheek on large pillows. Worn inscription . Painted shield above. She died aged seven
Centre:
Roger Peachy (1683) He was vicar of the parish for 37 years. Inscription on slate panel with surround. Skull below, arms above.
Right: William Bernard. c. 1300.  knight in recess under arch in north wall. Mutilated. Legs once crossed
South Chapel
Left: possible William Barnard.  Late 14th century. Straight legs. Under a low arch below window in south wall. Difficult to access as now blocked by two later big standing monuments. (v.i)
Above:
possibly Sir John Bernard. Early 15th century. Straight legs. Note bare head and beard. Not in situe.
  
Left and above left: Sir Robert Peyton (1518)  & Elizabeth Wall panel with indents of Calvary; Inscription only remains. The tomb chest has quatrefoils and painted shields. The slab has indent of large plain cross.
Above right:
Chrystofer Peyton (1507) & Wife. Brass indent attached to wall. The inscription only remains.
Above: Sir John Bernard (1451) & Ellen (?) Brasses under canopy on low tomb chest. The shields on the slab and the sides have gone - except one of lead on the knight's left. The Latin inscription is now placed above the canopy and records two wives: Ellen Swynerton and Elizabeth Sakevyle.
Right: Sir Robert Peyton (1550)
Far Right:
Rychard Peyton (1574) & Mary  Brasses under canopy . Palimpsest.  
On floor: roll the carpet back!
 
Left and above left: Sir Robert Peyton (1590) & Wife. Whole monument and detail of effigies.
Right and above right: Sir John Peyton (1616) &Wife. 
These two monuments obscure the knight in the recess in the south wall

Left: Arms above monument of Sir Robert
Centre:
Detail of Sir John
Right:
Arms, figures and skull above monument of Sir John

top of page

Landwade - St Nicholas

The church is situated on a private estate and is locked. If wishing to visit please write to Mr Simon Gibson of  the nearby Landwade Hall for the key, stating your interest. You may park on the site.

Chancel

Above left: Table tomb in centre of chancel which can just about be made out in the photograph of the interior. The sides are plain but the top slab has faded indents of brasses which can just be made out in the second photograph; there is a central cross with two scrolls on either sides, presumably words from figures kneeling at the base of the cross
Above right: Grave slab on chancel floor; there is no inscription, heraldry etc but a Calvary Cross carved in relief.
Above left: Table tomb: the shields again may have had brasses attached. The top slab is badly damaged but originally held brasses: there are only remains of indents of two small kneeling figures at the foot of the slab.
Above right: Table tomb: the shields again may have had brasses attached. The top slab is badly damaged but originally held brasses: there are only remains of indents of two small kneeling figures at the foot of the slab.
Far Right: Table tomb; the back has indents for several brasses: at least three kneeling figures with scrolls. There is nothing on the top slab. The shields along the side appears once to have had brasses attached.

Also on chancel wall:

2 simple tablets:  Black with white lettering - facing each other across chancel: George C Gibson OBE of Landwade Hall, Exning who died in 1989 at 93 and was buried in Cathays Cemetery, Cardiff; his wife Madeleine who died in 1993 aged 96.
Grey, red lettering: William James Tatem, 1st Baron Glandy of St Fagans. Killed by enemy action in 1942 aged 75.
Wall Brasses:
1.William Cotton, Latin inscription, small brass
2.Ambrose Alexander Cotton, large brass in stone surround, heraldry.
3.Charles Edward Baird, Cpt Seaforth Highlanders 78th Rosshire Buffs. Son of Brig-Gen Baird. Born 1894, killed in action near Beaumont Hamel, France. Military badge and medal.
4.Alexander Cotton of Landwade, Lt RN, son of Rev A A Cotton, ob 1860. Also John Hynde Cotton, Lt 12th Lancers, son of above, killed by fall from horse at Secunderabad in 1857 aged 22. Also Harriet, daughter of Alexander who died at 16 in 1850 and was buried in Gronville, Jersey.
5.Henrietta, wife of Alexander, died 1899 aged 83. Buried in Quendon.

North Transept

 

Six-poster with two recumbent effigies. 'Here lieth intombed the bodie of Sir John Cotton Knighte Sonne of Sir Roberte Cotton Knighte. And also the bodie of  Dame Isabell, Wife of the saide Sir John and daughter of Sir William Spencer, Knighte.' He died in 1593 at 81, she in 1578 at 63. They had 8 sons and 5 daughters. 5 sons and 2 daughters 'died in their nonage'

 Sir John Hynde Cotton Bart. (1752 aged 66) Son of the Sir John who died in 1712 (see below). Married 1. Letitia by whom he had 1 son John Hynde and 1 daughter Mary; 2. Not named but no issue.
Also commemorates John Hynde above (1793) He was however buried at Madingley 'the present residence of the family'

South Transept

Sir John Cotton, Knight (1620 aged 77)- son of John Cotton. He married: 1. Elizabeth, 2. Elizabeth, by whom and had no issue, and 3. Anne, by whom he had 2 sons - James and John - and 1 daughter - Katherine; only John survived him.  He reclines; she is recumbent and holds a book. Heraldry and inscription

Sir John Cotton Bt. (1689 aged 74) - son of Sir John Cotton left . He married 1. Jane Hind by whom he had 2 sons and 2 daughters: John, Thomas, Jane and Anne. John and Jane survived him. Inscription and heraldry. Reclining effigy

Above: Unassigned tomb chest. The back plate has several indents for brasses with their fixing holes well visible; possibly two kneeling figures with scrolls, shield and inscription. Nothing on top slab.

Above: Sir John Cotton (1712 aged 66) - son of the Sir John who died in 1689) & Elizabeth (1714 aged 57) They had 1 son - John Hynde - and 7 daughters - Jane, Anne, Catherine, Elizabeth, Frances, Dorothy and Agnes. 'Sr John was Recorder of Cambridge for wch. he serv'd many years in Parliament'. By Thomas Adey

top of page

Harlton
Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Sir Henry Fryer (1631), his parents Sir Thomas (1623) & Mary (1614) and his stepmother Bridget. Alabaster. Bridget reclines below, Sir Thomas is flanked by his parents. On either sides caratids: a beared man and a yound woman. Atrrib: W Wright.
Orwell
St Andrew
Dr Jeremiah Radcliffe Rector, wearing the gown of Doctor of Theology at Trinity College. He was one of the translators of the King James Bible

Rampton
All Saints

 Knight (later 13th century) in a 14th century chancel recess. Drawing sword. Note that the legs are not crossed. The etching is by Charles Stothard

Stretchworth - St Peter

Above: Ashton Benyon (1835-1856) signed E Davis Sc London
Right:
Richard Lord Gorges, Baron of Dundalk (1674) & Bridget. For 12 years he was supringendant and surveyor general of the draining of the Fens, Bedford Level. Attrib: A Storey
Trumpington
SS Mary & Michael

Francis Pemberton


Wimple - St Andrew

Sir Thomas Chicheley (1616) & Family (above left illustraton - recumbent effigy on left)
Catherine (1759), Wife of Hon. Charles Yorke (above left illustration - east of above monument) Designed by James Stuart; executed by Scheemakers
Philip, 1st Earl of Hardwicke (1764) (above left illustration- large monument background right) The Lord Chancellor. Designed by James Stuart; executed by Scheemakers
Hon. Charles Yorke (1770) Oblelisk with portrait medallion and putti about an urn. By Scheemakers
Elizabeth (1766), Wife of Hon. John Yorke unsigned
Philip, 2nd Earl of Hardwicke (1790) Woman bend over an urn. By Banks
Rt. Hon. Joseph Yorke (1792) by John Bacon (1798)
Hon. John Yorke (1801) (above - far right) By Sir Richard Westmacott
Mrs Charles Yorke (1801) By Flaxman
Philip, 3rd Earl Hardwicke (1834) (above - centre illustration and above left, centre monument) by Westmacott Jnr (1844)
Joseph Sydney Yorke (1831) Mourning woman by side of a ship



 

With many thanks to Jean McCreanor for supplying many of the photographs in this section

Return to previous ('Monuments') page click here