DEVON

Devon is my home county at the moment and I have included many small town and village churches where the monuments are of no great artistic merit nor of national  historical interest but they are nevertheless always of local genealogical and historical interest, especially from the standpoint of social history. Where I can I have commented on the ease or otherwise of parking - which varies considerably - and if the church is locked or not, with the details of the keyholder if it is locked. Please note that these notes refer to the time I (or others) visited the church and the details may change from time to time. Further information would be gratefully received. These pages will be constantly updated and improved as further information is gathered.
In the bookmark list below, churches worth a paticular visit because they have a fine collection of monuments or one outstanding monument are listed in bold; churches with medieval monuments are listed in italics.
Alwington Ashburton Ashton  Ashwater  Atherington  Barnstaple  Bere Ferrers  Bickleigh  Bicton Old Church Bondleigh Bovey Tracey Broadwood Kelly Broadwoodwidger Buckerell Buckland Monachorum  Cheriton Bishop Chudleigh  Clovelly Coldridge Colyton Combeinteighead  Cornwood Crediton Dartmouth-St Petrox Dartmouth-St Saviour  Dean Prior Denbury Dolton East Ogwell Eggesford Exbourne
  Page next: Exeter <2> <3> <4>
Alwington - St Andrew
O/S Ref: SS 404 231
Richard Coffin (1617) & Wife. There are 15 children below. Erected 1651
Ashton - St Michael
Sir George Chudleigh Bt (1657) and Lady Mary
Ashburton - St Andrew
O/S Ref: SX 752 697
Ann Laurie (1920) She died at 29 at Seroor in the East Indies, her husband being in service of the East India Company. Benjamin Parham (1861) Judge of the County Court of Worcestershire. Also, his wife, Mary (Palk) (1845); his father, Benjamin Parnham (1851); the latter's wife, Susannah (1843); the latters' son, Rev John Dolbear Parham (1858); and daughter, Susanna Dolbear Parham (1860) Lt Col Charles Thomas Higgins of the East India Company. No dates. Top: Sisters, Eleanor & Sally Adams I can only make out one date of 1813.
Bottom:
Charles Kendall (1850); his wife, Elizabeth (1861); their sons: Rev Charles (1840) and John (1862)
       
Left & above left: Emblyn Ellen (1859 @ 13) & Sarah Jane (1859 @ 3) Rogers. Daughters of Cpt T E Rogers; they died on the same day.
Above centre: John Soper (1792); his wife,  Agnes (1795); and their daughter, Eleanor.
Above right: John Dunning, Lord Ashburton (1783)
Cpt Richard Hill RN (1799) Thomas Bonner Cousins (1815 @ 17); also his parents: Thomas (1855) & Ann (1827) Walter Soper (1827) & his wife, Elizabeth (1811); and their daughter, Elizabeth (1881)
Ashwater - St Peter
Church unlocked during normal hours. Park in village.  O/S Ref: SX 387 952



Thomas Carminow & Wife (1442)
Wall Brasses:
James Meyrick Feild ('Priest') Rector 1864-1897
Frank Melhuish (1922)
'He was a tea planter in Ceylon and was buried in Columbo' His parents are commemorated thus:
Marion Loveday Melhuish (1905)
coloured inlays
Rev George Douglas Melhuish (1951)
Prebendary of Exeter Catheral and 38 years Rector of Ashwater
Atherington - St Mary
The church is open during normal hours in the summer months although key can be obtained nearby in the winter. There is limited parking opposite the church as well as in the rest of the village. An interesting church to visit .
O/S Ref: SS 592 231
Sir Ralph Wylmington and Wife (late 14th century) 
Note that the aventail, the mail covering of the neck and shoulders, which is  attached to the bascinet, has a fabric covering so that the mail only shows at the lower edge; an unusual feature. The tomb chest has quatrefoil decorations, although the enclosed shields are now plain
. The etching is from a drawing by C.A.Stothard who visited Atherington on his journey to Bere Ferrers
Sir Arthur Basset (1568) & Elianora Chichester Slab of blue slate carved with arms (Basset impaling Chichester) and incised inscription, now difficult to read owing to scaling off of the upper layer of the slate.
Behind can be seen the tomb chest of Sir Ralph and Wife.
Sir John Basset (1530) & his two wives: Ann Denys and Honor Grenville  Slab with brasses of Sir John and his wives on either side; below one wife are three sons and four daughters, and below the other four daughters and one son. There were four brass shields, one of which is now lost. On the south side (shown) are two panels enclosing quatrefoils within which are a shield and the letters 'SIKB'. On the north side are two shields carved with the arms which appear on the lower of the two brass shield.

Above & right: Possibly  Sir William de Champernowne  (c.1240) The effigy is badly damaged but originally of excellent quality. Note the band of stiff leaf folige around the tapered edge of the slab. Although the lower part of the legs has gone, they were crossed, one of the earliest examples in the country.
Far right: Brasses from the tomb of Sir John Basset (above)
Illegible. Note the pelican symbol Illegible. Note the symbols of angel, anchor, hour glass and skull. Anthony Snell,Yeoman (1707) Ledger stone of Sarah and Robert Chichester
  Other Monuments
  Gothick Tablet to Revd Robert Chichester MA (1844), thirty-eight years Vicar of Chittlehampton and Revd Charles Chichester BD (1812), Prependary of Exeter Cathedral and Rector of West Worlington.  Their ledger stone is at the west end of the south aisle with two other stones of former rectors of Atherington. Shown
B&W tablet to 
Revd George Burgess (1829), Rector of Atherington 'upwards of 30 ygton. ears' who  died aged 64 and his wife Elizabeth (1823) who died aged 49. This tablet also commemorates four of their children 'who died in the short space of a fortnight of a malignant fever then raging in this parish.'
White tablet to Sarah 'wife of Rob Chichester' (1825) Also their daughter Amy (1863)
Wall brass on gray backing to Thomas Freke Arthur (1897) '...these belfry gates are erected...he was sometime curate...28 years Rector of Eastdown where his body rests'
Black Tablet. Florence Blanche Mary Arthur (1913) Wife of William Willis Arthur, Rector
Wall brass: Mary _udd Brent Arthur (187_) The lychgate was erected in her memory
Wall brass: James Arthur 49 years rector. No date
Wooden tablet: records that the altar and reredos were dedicated in 1953 in memory of Jean Rae Arthur
Barnstaple - St Peter & St Mary Magdelene
Church open, but possibly mornings and early afternoons only. The church is in a central position in the town between High Street and Boutport Street. Street parking may be possible but the town has a number of pay car parks. Note that the dedication given in Pevsner (at least my edition) is not correct. O/S Ref: SS 559 333
South Aisle


Left: Richard Ferris (1644)
Above:
Amy Tooker (1654)
Right:
George Peard (1644)
Walter Tucker His daughter and her baby lie below Elizabeth Delbridge (1628) Note the baby at her feet Richard Clapham (1636) & Wife Their children kneel below
South Chancel Aisle & Lady Chapel
Illegible, probably Richard Harris (1688) Richard Beaple (1643) Illegible: possibly to Burch Family
Mary Palmer (1645) Mary Palmer probably mother of the previous Mary Palmer. Mostly illegible Gilbert Paige (1669) poorly reset and obscured by large mirror and book case
Nicholas Blake  (1634) Illegible. This brass below refers to a window in memory of Frederick Richard Lee RA  (1879) William Strowde (1632)
South Transept
(Ringing Room)
Vestry (behind chancel)

Above: Tablets, partly obscured by bell ropes and scaffolding. The sarcophagus commemorates Thomas Mitchell (1835)

To the right are a number of tablets which have been reset in one of the vestries.
North Transept
Above left: Lionel Bencraft (1892)
Above right:
Able Watney (1780; his wife, Mary 1749); and their sons, A. Eton (1775) & T Middleton (1775)
Far Right:
Thomas Horwood (1658)
North Aisle of Nave
Caroline Meeke (1811)
Thomas Lilly Jnr (1830 @18)
cabinetmaker

Richard Dukesell Harvey Jeve (1842) & his wife Elizabeth (1852)

Robert Linnington (1833); his son, Samuel (1899); & the latter's son, Robert (1817)

Fanny Palmer (1848)

John [ ? Macarcle] (1848)
West Wall of Nave
Top: James Harris (1881) seed merchant
Bottom: William Barlow (1918) Royal Engineers
Top: Sgt Thomas Cockram (1901) Royal Welsh Fusiliers; he died of  feverduring the South African War
Bottom: William & Elizabeth Woolacott 'and children' No dates
Anne Butler (1837) signed H Wood, Bristol




Barnstable Museum
Near the river. Entrance is free. O/S Ref: SS 558 329
Eleanor or Margaret Martin 14th century wooden effigy, formerly in St Peter's Church, Tawstock. Very good condition.

Bere Ferrers - St Andrews
The church is open during normal hours. Park somewhere in the village. This is another church well worth visiting despite the somewhat difficult drive - or take the train from Plymouth! The church where Charles Stothard met with a fatal accident.  O/S Ref: SX 459 634
 Sir William de Ferraris and Matilda (c 1300) Under fine arch between chancel and vestry.
   
Far Left: Under original recess in north wall of the north transept. Roborough stone. Note how the figure is turned toward the observer. Early 14th century.
Left Centre Top: Unknown structure: note the slots. It may be a canopy of the de Brooke or another 16th cnetury tomb.
Left Centre Bottom: Lord Willoughby de Broke (1522) Purbeck marble tomb chest with Renaisance wreaths. North transept. The slab in the foreground is shown on the far right.
Right Centre: Sir RogerChampnoun (1410-1465) Calvery cross with inscription above: 'Hic jacet Roger Champnoun Amiger cui aie picietur de ame' (Here lies Sir Roger Champnoun for whose soul may prayers be offered to God' ) Not in situ.
Far Right: Another simple Calvery cross, no inscription. This nows lies on the floor near the de Broke tomb.
Other Monuments
Jane Foote (1770), her husband Revd John Anthony Foote AM, Vicar of Branescombe (1784); their son John Walter  (who erected the tablet) (1810) and his wife Nancy (1806). Buried below the tablet. B&W tablet with urn.
John Griffiths (1828) of the East India Company and Govenor of Surat. '...whose mortal reamins are interred in the adjoining burial ground...' White tablet with arms.
Major Edward Bayley, 88th Regiment, Connaught Rangers. Mortally wounded while 'leading a party to storm and capture the quarry works before Sebastopol' - June 1855. B&W tablet with draped military flags.
Sir Frederick Shelly,Bart. Rector of the parish for 23 years. (1869) B&W Tablet. Signed: Bovey & Co, Plymouth
John Steven Walters
of Bere Ferrers. Died at George Town, Colorado, USA Jan 1870
A brass wall plate to '10 Privates of New Zealand Expeditionary Force who were killed in Bere Ferrers Station while dismounting from a train, Sept 1917 - on their way from Plymouth to Salisbury Plain along the old L.S.W.R mainline to Waterloo.' They had arrived in Plymouth and were travelling for training on Salisbury plain; they had broken their journey at Bere Ferrers only to be killed by a train travelling in the opposite direction. Buried in Plymouth. Bere Ferrers maintains a link with New Zealand to this day
.
A wall brass records the altar rails were erected in memory of Mary Stephens & Mary Harris in 1917
A wall brass records that the altar was erected in memory of Rev F T W Wintle MA Rector 1875-1912.
A wall brass records Corporal William Collom (1916) died on active service aboard HMS Diana. Military badge





Bickleigh
The one near Tiverton - not the other one! Church open during normal hours. Park in the village but beware narrow roads and limited space O/S Ref: SS 943 072
 On either side of the altar are these two tombs with carved and painted arms set in the wall behind:
On the left (north side of the altar)  is a deeply incised slab John Carew of Bickleigh (1588)
On the right (south side of the altar) is a brass commemorating: Revd John West Carew (1821) - 2nd son of Sir John Carew Bart and rector for 43 years; also his wife Holway (1871); also Charles Smallwood Carew (1796) their 4th and youngest son, aged 2;
also Henry Holdsworth Carew (1807) 2nd son, lost at sea aged 18; also Elizabeth Ann (1853) their only daughter; also Norman Carew (1807) only child of their 3rd son Timothy; also Maria (1867) wife of  John Carew (1868) , their eldest son - 'principal contributor to the expenses of rebuilding this church'; also Timothy Carew (1877) Cmdr RN, their 3rd son.
Sir Henry Carew (1654), Wife and Children
He lies on the tomb chest with children at head a feet; his wife is on the windowsill with the upper part of the tomb against the window. Whole  tomb and detail shown.
Elizabeth Eriseys, née Carew (1618)
 Note the baby in a crib below the tomb chest, putti, skull, hourglasses. By John Deymond (Clive Easter)
Above: Peter Carew (1654) & Wife
Interesting and unusual interregum monument.  
Below: Henry Blackmore Baker (1841) & Robert Baker (1849) Traceried blind window behind which are brasses (text only). They were brother of Holway Carew, wife of the Rector
John Carew (1588)
Other Monuments
'Gothic' Tab: Francis Cawen Carew (1849) 'son of the rector'
'Near this tablet lie the remains of...' Agnes Waldren (1796) and Elizabeth Gammons (1799) and  Susanna Morse 'relict of John Morse' (ob 1801) and Elizabeth Pitman, only child of J & S Morse and wife of Rev John Pitman MA, Rector of Porlock, and Rev John Pitman, son of Rev J Pitman, rector of Washfield and vicar of Broadhempston (ob 1856)
Bickton Old Church
Not yet visited
Bondleigh - St James
The church is locked but name and address of nearby keyholder is given in the porch; or seek! Park near church
O/S Ref: SS 652 048
Far left & above: Priest
Left: James Marshall (1752 age 17), his brother James (1758 age 26) 'clerk'. Below added  their parents: William (1775 age 33) Rector & Grace (1781 age 79)
Frances Tripp (1818)
? slate
John Paddon (1700) ? slate, wood frame
Mary Goss (1708) & daughter Mary (1708) slate, wood frame
Elizabeth Stokes (1988) church warden & organist. black tablet.
Bovey Tracey - St Peter, St Paul & St Thomas of Canterbury
The church is unlocked during normal hours and is situated uphill at the east end of the town in Trough Street, a continuation of the high street. There are several moderately priced car parks in the town as well as some street parking. There is limited parking outside the church and an easily missed car park for visitors only next to the church. O/S Ref: SX 822 786
Maria Forbes (1655) Wife of the Rev James Forbes; the latter was a staunch royalist and was ejected during the Commonwealth by a  commitee of  sequestrators sitting at Exeter. This commitee would not allow her tomb to be inside the church so it remains outside against the south wall of chancel . 'Surgam-Vivam-Canam' carved
Nicholas Eveleigh (1618) The space under the arch has 1620 I.D. Signed by John Deymond (Clive Easter) He was Steward of the Devon Stanneries, Mater of the Temple and a pupil of Richard Hooker. He was killed along with nine others when the roof of the Stannery Court House collapsed.
        
 Elizaeus Hele (1626) , of the Inner Temple. Two wives and son (Walter) keel in front. Alabaster. He was the second husband of Alice Bray, who was formerly married to Nicholas Eveleigh (above) . He is buried in the Cannons' Vestry in Exeter Cathedral.
'Below lie Interr'd Eliz (1746), the daughter of, Eliz. (1753)t he wife of & Mary (1753) the mother of Wm Hole of Crowley in this parish' 'Also the said Mr Wm Hole (1799)' Also William (1812) son of William & Elizabeth. Also Caroline (1802, in infancy) daughter of Robert & Ann Hole
John Stawell (1669) Also son, John (1674)  Inscription in Latin
Other Wall Monuments
Robert (1822) & Ann Hole (1809) B&W tablet with urn
Harriet Bentink (1853) B&W tablet
George Hunt Clapp (1824) '...barrister and a bencher of the Hon Middle Temple Society...'  Memorial inserted by his wife. She is unamed and underneath is add  her death date of 1851 '...was buried at Hammersmith'
Three tablets recording electical installations:
'The electric lighting in this church was installed by Henry Aldenburgh Bentinck AD 1912 in memory of his parents..,' Charles Aldenburg Bentink (1891) & Harriet Bentink (1853) White marble
'The electric light fittings in this church were provided by subscription...' In memory of Evan Harris JP CC (1947) Vicar's warden for 23 years.
Mrs Olive Vickers (no date) 'In grateful recognition and appreciation of her generous bequest covering the cost of rewiring the electric lighting...' Dated 1945
Mural Brasses
William Hole Crownley and Family (1779) This looks like a vault plate, nowon wall
Rev Joseph Domett (1635) Vicar for 55 years and Rector of Shepton Beachamp. His wife Susanna, his mother Elizabeth and his sisters Elizabeth, Martha and Frances (Tozer); his second wife Laura (1863); his brothers Philobeth, Newell & John and their father Rev Philobeth vicar for 50 years and vicar of Axminster. Placed 1868
William Harris  (1882) his wife Jane (1888) and their son William Augustus (1880)
Charles Aldenburgh Bentinck (1891)
with clover border
Cmdr Henry Harris RN (1893)
Charles Leslie Courtenay (1894)
'Canon of Windsor and for forty years Vicar of this Parish.'
George Wyndham Hamilton Knight-Bruce (1896) Bishop . Vicar 1895-1896
Havilland Chepmell Vere Stead (1902) '...died in the discharge of his duty at Kromokrum, Gold Coast Colony...' Eldest son of W B Vere Stead, Vicar
Frances Bentink (1904) widow of Charles Aldenburg above. Copper with raised letters
Walter B Vere Stead (1910) 'priest...vicar for 10 years...' Floral edge
Lt Kingdon Tregosse Frost MA BLitt Oxon (1914) 1st Batt Cheshire Reg. Kia Battle of Mons
William Hole (1859) and his wife Susannah (1895) and their sons and daughters: William Robert (1903), Susan Anne (1852), Caroline (1898), Jaquete Mary (1916) (widow of Rev William Paul Wood) and Henrietta Eliza (1916)

Broadwood Kelly - All Hallows
The church is locked but the address of the keyholder is given in the porch
O/S Ref: SS 651 049
Above: Simon Webber (1754), Rector of the parish (and 'sometime of Honeychurch'), Rebekah (1746), his wife. Elizabeth (1707) their infant daughter, Rev John, Clerk and Bachelor of Laws, their son. Also John (1652) Rector, great-grandfather of Simon. Wood, painted
Above right: Anne Letheren (1711) The epitaph is now mainly  illegible
Right: Louisa Hole (1841), wife of Rev Nathaniel Hole, Rector; their only daughter Louisa Sophia (1857) age 20
Above: Jane Chapman (1724) daughter of John Webber, Rector.
Above Left: This is now illegible
Left:  John (1702) & Sarah (1690) and their son John (1689). Clearly added later: John (1769) & Jane (1769) Hill
 Other Wall Monuments
Simon Webber (1671) Rector. Simple tablet, includes insciption in Greek and Hebrew
If anyone can translate these, please let me know and I will send you a photograph of the tablet.
Oliver, Gent (1814) & Mary (1820) and their only son Oliver (1827) B&W tablet
Patience Jerrard (1886) daughter of Simon Webber. Oval tablet with surrounding wreath by J. Miller of Okehampton 
Broadwoodwidger

     St Nicholas
Park nearby in village. Church may be locked -need to check this O/S Ref: 411 891
Said to be a member of the Upcott family c 1500. Effigy is legless, under a too low arch and hollow.
Buckerell
St Mary & St Giles
Church unlocked: park outside but may be tight
O/S Ref: ST 123 003
Joanna Phillippa Griffith (1801) Alfred William Ford (1904) Vicar Elizabeth Graves (1767) wife of Samuel Graves (then) Rear Admiral of the Blue Samuel Graves (1787) Admiral of the White by John Bacon (1792)
He enforced the Boston Port Bill resulting in the Boston Tea Party
Other Monuments
Rt Hon Lady Isabella Smythe (1840) and her husband William Mead Smythe (1866). Buried in a vault with their (unnamed) daughters 'beneath this seat'. B&W tablet with draped urn.
Edward Arthur Parry (1940) 'This church was equipped with electric light' B&W tablet
Angela Ida Harriet Parry (1977) wife of above Tablet
To parents: Elizabeth Gibbs Porter (1876) & William Porter (1887) 'and of their sister', presumable of the doners, Agnes Antonia Hausset (1882) Brass
Florence Susanna Colbourne (1901)
B&W tablet
John Frederick Porter (1852) took ill and Harrow School and died age 14. B&W tablet
Rev Francis Paynter (1908) Rector of Stoke next Guildford. His daughter married into the Porter family of village. B&Gray tablet
Christopher Kingston Rector 1887-1994 'Scientist, musician and pastor'
Elizabeth Coleridge (1840), her husband Edwin E Coleridge (1870) Curate in 1826 and vicar in 1884. His (second) wife Ellen Sophia (1884) B&W tablet
Edward Coleridge BA (1843)
Vicar for more than 30 years B&W tablet
Robert Northcote (1809), his wife Sarah (1827); their sons James Cogan (1833) and Robert (1820). Also Maria Northcote (1836) wife of George Northcote. B&W tablet
Robert Fulford FRIBA (1910) priest. Brass cross on wood
Buckland Monachorum
The church is usually open during normal hours but their are several keyholders listed on the notice board should this not be the case. Park in the small car park - free - near and opposite the church or park in the village. O/S Ref: SX 491 682
South Chapel Chancel

Admiral Lord Heathfield (1790) By John Bacon 1795 - signed
George Augustus Elliot, Baron Heathfield of Gibraltar, Knight of the Bath, General and Governor of Gibraltar. He married Ann Polexen-Drake, daughter of Sir Francis Drake, Bt, by whom he had one daughter who married John Trayton Fuller.
Left - whole monument; right - detail of central figure.
One either side and below the central figure are four military scenes in low relief: to the left (shown) above 1. cannon with barrel lowered, 2. below  siege with cannon; to the right (scarcely visible): above 3 casting canon balls, 4. burning ship with sailors escaping in small boat.

Sir Francis Henry Drake Bt (1794)
By John Bacon -signed
'Linearly descended from the naval warrior of the 16th century'
He was uncle of Lord Heathfield
The female figure is 'Truth' as indicated below.

2nd Lord Heathfield (1813)
 By John Bacon Jnr - signed
Francis Augustus Heathfield, 2nd Baron Heathfield
General and colonel of 1st Regiment King's Dragoon Guards

Dame Eleanor Elliot Drake (1841)
By Westmacott Jnr - not signed
Wife of Sir Thomas Trayton Fuller Elliot Drake Bt

Rev Amos Crymes BA (1783)
Vicar of the parish. He married first Mary (ob 1752) and secondly another Mary (ob 1806)

Transepts & Nave
Georgina Hayne (1912), wife of Rev Prebendary Hayne MA, Vicar of Parish
Mary Fanshawe Stoppard (1816 at 5 years, 8 months) The open Bible gives the NT verse beginning: 'suffer little children'
Rev Lancelot Elford
(1782)
Lt Thomas Walton RN
(1789)
On the sarcophagus John Lloyd (1806) and on the tablet below  his wife Jane (1784) and son William (1776). There is plenty of space below this for further additions. On the separate tablet below (signed  Rogers, Tavistock) are  John Lloyd JP and his unnamed wife John Burrows (1706) drowned at sea following shipwreck off the Barbary Coast. Also Lt John Burrows RN (1819) and Christian wife of Lt John. On the opposite wall  a wooden tablet indicates that John Burrows left a small legacy to the church, the interest from which was to provide bread for the poor of the parish
Other Monuments
Also brass below south window indicating it was inserted to commemorate Joseph Godfrey (1901) 
Also B&W Tablet: William Austen White (1856). He was commemorated by the north window above and buried in the churchyard.
Brass. Frances Penelope Bundock (1938) 'the main roof of this church was saved from the ravages of death watch beetle by her brothers and sisters'.
G T Risden & Margaret Stanbury (sister-in-law). The font was returned to the church and restored by Mrs Risden in commemoration.
Philip Blowey (1907) the window above was erected in his memory.
Cheriton Bishop
St Mary the Virgin

Left: Richard Pennell MA ( 1872) He served as a clergyman in Zanzibar where he died; the brass shows the Bishop attending his death-bed and his body being ferried for burial.
Below this Edward H Pennell (1884) simple brass taken from Trinity Chapel, Crockerwell which closed in 1988

Church open during normal hours. Somewhat outside the village; park nearby, tight.
O/S Ref: SS 774 936

                                                 Other Wall Monuments
Joseph Brettell Houseman (1926) and Sarah Felicia (1929). He was curate and rector from 1875 to 1926. B&W tab.
''Beneath and in the centre are deposited the Mortal Remains of ..' Henry Fothergill MA (1792) '45 years ministry in the parish.' He actually lived in the parish. Coloured marble with urn.

Chudleigh
St Martin & St Mary
O/S Ref: SX 867 794

Left: Elizabeth Powney (1786)
Above:
LtJohn Milligan Seppings RN (1826)
Right:
Elizabeth Rennel (1773)
Far left: Rev George Moyle MA (1861) Headmaster of Pynsent's free school in the town.
Far right, top tp bottom:
Rebecca Wash (16--); Thomas Yarde, physician, (1833) & Sarah (1831); Lt Frederic FitzRoy Vallings 2nd Batt. Royal Inniskilling (1902)
Sir Pierce (1607) & Elizabth Courtenay
Clovelly - All Saints
The church is open during normal hours. Park in the small car park (Clovelly Court Gardens and Church Only) at the right angle bend on the left hand side of the road leading down to the village; the church is sign posted through a gate and along a foot path. O/S Ref: SS 309 252
Brasses  
Sir William Cary (c. 1540) ? Robert Cary (1540) brass insciption above in English. Inlaid in a slab with a incised cross and marginal inscription to Hugo Myghelstow (1488) George Cary (1601) inscription in Latin. Below is a crozier c 1865 Sir Robert Cary (1586)
with 6 columns
Other Brasses
Charles Kingsley (1873) Rector of Eversley, canon of Westminster. 'Poet, Preacher, Novellist'. Author of The Water Babies & Westward Ho! His father was rector of Clovelly. Mural erected 1893 by Frank Smith & Co, London
William Harrison (1897) Rector for 14 years. Mural by the above
Mary Williams (1874) Mural by the above. Wife of Sir James Hamlyn Williams Bart

Wall Monuments
     
William Cary JP (1652)
but made mid 70's
 
 Sir Robert Cary JP (1675) Faught for Royalists in the Civil Wars. Died a bachelor Elizabeth Cary (1677) wife of George. Below is to their son Robert (1677, less than 1 month) 
   
Sir George Cary (1685) George Cary (1680) Joan Cary (1687) wife of William  Mary Cary (1700) wife of William Cary. Also Robert Cary (1722) 

Col Hamilton Fane (1868) & Susan Hester Fane (1869) veined marbles Zachary Hamlyn (1759) of Lincoln's Inn Sir James Hamlyn (1811) by T King & Son, Bath Lady Hamlyn (1797) by T King & Son, Bath Christine Hamlyn (1936) Daughter of Col Henry Hamlyn-Fane Brig-Gen Arthur Asquith (1939) DS) & Legion d'Honneur & his wife Betty Constance
Other Wall Monuments
Paul Ashton Ellis (1965) 'sidesman for 30 years', and Gladys (1965) Gray tablet
Richard John Kelly (1977) Sidesman 1947-1964, Church Warden 1954-1977 Gray tablet
Sir James Hamlyn Williams 2nd Bart (1829) and his wife Dame Diana Anne (1849) White tablet with frame
Rev Richard Hammet (1796) Rector White tablet with frame and arms
Thomas Leonard Vowe Simkin MA , Rector 1899 - 1932. Gray tablet
Some Churchyard Monuments
James Berriman (1903) Hamlyn Family Wooden cross with crucifiction Mary Christine Manners (1904)Wooden cross with peacock medallion of Virgin & Child. Lettering on stone base by Eric Gill Lettering in the style of Eric Gill
Coldridge - St Matthew
O/S Ref: SS 698 076
Sir John Evans (1514) park keeper of the Marquess of Dorset's deer park at Coldridge. Effigy of beerstone; an angel by his head carries a shiled marked with his name (as 'John Evas) Note the series of holes in the slab which orginally contained railings.
Colyton - St Andrew  
The church is open during normal hours. Park in the pay car park near the church. O/S Ref: ST 246 941
Margaret Beauford, Countess of Devon (1449)
William Pole (1587) & Elizabeth
Elaborate genealogical monument erected by son Sir William Pole the Antiquary.
Sir John Pole (1658) & Wife (1628)
This monument is free standing between the chancel and the South Chancel (Pole) chapel. The effigies are propped up on their elbows and back to back: he faces the chancel and she the chapel. 
Not yet assigned
Some Notes on the Beauford Monument
The effigy is only about 3 feet long and the tomb was moved from the north transept in the early 1800's. It was thought to represent a child (Margaret, granddaughter of Edward IV) so  the face was recarved by Hems in the early 1900's, modelled on his granddaughter. This regrettable work prompted much controversy, including letters to the Times. The heraldry indicates otherwise.
Other Monuments
George Francis Cecil Sampson (1892) & Daughter Sibyl Irene (1927)
Thomas Sampson Esq (Nov 1856) & wife Frances Anna (Aug 1856) 'in Liverpool'. Tablet with arms
Philip Mitchell (1860) & Wife Elizabeth (1814) Slate
Sir William Pole Bart (1741) 'Master of the Household of her late Majesty Queen Anne...' Ornate tablet with cherubs.
John Baumier Esq (1798) died at 24. White tablet with arms and urn on top
Mary Warmington (182_) 'lies interred in a vault underneath...' also her daughter Mary (182_) White oval surrounded by foliage in black frame.
Rev George Rhodes (1708) late vicar who died aged 34. White with black border
Top of Page
W. Westover (1617) & Wife
Attributed to John Deymond of Exeter.
Combeinteignhead
All Saints
O/S Ref: SX 901 715
Left and below left: Alyce Hockmore (1613)
Above left: G
regory Hockmore (1653)
Above right:
William Hockmore (1626)
Below right:
John StKew (
Rev Harry Martin MA (1864)
Rector
Edward Lang Metherall (1833) Master of the Brig Brittania, which was run down and sunk by the Ajax of New York; only one crew member saved Edward Metherall (1865) Also wife, Mary (1867); and daughters: Eliza Jane Lang Dench (1878) & Mar Ellen Sanders (1883) Mary Rendell (1881); also her husband, William (1901) 32 years churchwarden Richard Yabley Lang (1894); also his wife, Lucy (1900) William Bond (1881): also his wife, Sarah Sophie (1901)
Cornwood - St Michael
O/S Ref: SX 604 594


Left and centre top: 'Near this place lyeth the body of M- John Savery son of William Savery of Slade Esq by Prudence his wife, daughter of John Drake of Iveybridge Esq who departed this life the 21st of February 1696.
'This infant fled from our admiring sight his stay so short, so sudden was his flight that he taught us by his hasting hence that the earths to vile for so much innocence. Reader relent since thou noe more shall see this matchless child.'

Centre bottom: Philip (1596) & Joan Cole
Right:
 Robert (1627) & Dorothy Bellemaine (1627)
Figures from dismantled monument Thomas Vivian (1793) Vicar Benjamin Burrell (1715) Also his wife, Dorothy (1699) & their son, Arthur (1715). He was captain in the Royalist Army during the Civil War
Above from left to right:
The altar may be the tomb of Philip Cole (1596) and his wife Joan.
To the memory of Dame Mary Rogers who died Dec ye 1st 1750 and was buried in this churchyard near the remains of her late husband Sir John Rogers Bart...she hath exchanged time for a glorious eternity. Reader go and do thou likewise.'
Mathew Fortescue (1770)
Sir ___ Rogers Bt
Top: Treby Hele Hays (1837); Bottom: Susanna Hays (1838) widow of the above
Crediton - Church of the Holy Cross
The church is open during normal hours. There is a free car park behind the church for visitors only; otherwise park in one of the pay car parks in the town. O/S Ref: SS 837 002

Crediton was originally a cathedral town but the last bishop, Leofric, moved his see to Exeter  in about 1050. In the early 12th century there is evidence of a College of Clergy, Crediton becoming the site of a Collegiate Church of secular canons. This College ended with the Dissolution of the Monasteries. Edward Vl granted a charter in 1547 establishing a corporation of twelve secular Governors to administer the lands and tithes, the 'secular' aspect of church government. Thus the church became a parish church with Governors independent of the Bishop of Exeter in temporal matters.
Three coffin shaped slabs with foliated crosses; now set against wall of South Transept Sir John Sully (1387) and Wife. End of South Choir Aisle but originally in the south transept. He fought at Crécy and Poitiers and was said to have died aged106.
Above Left: John & Elizabeth Tuckfield (1630) Chancel. She sits in the centre and her husband and son (both d 1630) are represented by busts on either side.
Above Central: Sir William Perriam (1605) According to inscription in chancel. However the church notes state he died in 1604. He leans on his elbow and his family kneels below - three wives and four daughters. He was one of the judges who sentenced Mary Queen of Scots to death.  Pink marble
Above Right:
General Sir Redvers Buller VC  Mosaic and figure decoration on the east arch of nave. At the top is Our Lord as the Law Giver, flanked by angels and archangels.  The centre piece is a cross flanked by figures of Joshua and Godfrey of Bouillon, one of the leaders of the first crusade and first king of Jerusalem (although he did not take that title) . Below and on either side are figures of St Michael the Archangel and St George. By W D Caroe (1911)
On the north arch below the Redvers Buller monument are three brass plates: to Redvers Buller with arms, to Georgiana Buller DBE  RRC (ob 1953) for 'service to the disabled' and Michael Francis and Hon Dawn Buller.
Above this is the grave of  General Sir Redvers Buller (and family) in the churchyard. For a little more about General Buller, see the section on Exeter Cathedral, where there is a wall monument. There is also a recumbent effigy in Winchester Cathedral (q.v.) and an equestrian statue in Exeter, near the College.
 Rev Thomas Ley (1712)  the other has arms above, again between the broken pediment. Agnes Venner (1658). Arms between the broken pediment and a rather flat skull in a recess below. Exeter work (Dr Clive Easter). Tomb chest  with canopy embedded in wall, south of choir. Some original paint remains 

Wall tablets to:-
Peter John & Dennis Hugo They died serving with the RAF 1939-45. Also their father Harold Francis Lewis Hugo (1946), medical practitioner in Crediton. Tablet with arms.
Gerard Warden Teague (1974 ) Zoologist and Systematic Ichthyologist; Vice Consul in Paraguay.
Henry Drake (1913) Church Governor. Brass plate
John Mortimer (1914) Brass plate
Revd John R Nankivell MA (1883) black & white tablet
Lt Felix David Montague (1915) 2nd Lincoln Regiment. Killed at Neuve Chapelle. Brass plate with arms
Richard Browne (1932) Church Governor. Tablet erected by widow
Joseph David Tucker (1977) small brass plate
Albert Marks White (1991) small tablet
Wilfred Southcott (1991) small tablet
John Cleave Esq (1801) age 55; his widow who died 1855 aged 100 and their grandson, Rev Thomas Wood Cleave BA (ob 1848) aged 25. Black and white tablet.
Here Underneath Lyeth...' William Shilston Gent (1684) 'whose father and other relations are intoombed neare this church porch'. Black tablet with white surround. Pediment.
Harold Charles Organ FRCO (1917) 2nd Lt 4th Gloucesters. Killed aged 28 near Ypres. White tablet on coloured background. Military badge.
Commander Alex.r Y C M Spearman RN (1917) also to the officers and men of the Collingwood Battalion RN Division. Killed at Gallipoli where the 'batt.n practically destroyed'
Lieut Elias Tremlett DSO (1917) Devonshire Reg.t. Died of wounds in France aged 27. Tablet with military badges on coloured base.

Edmund Edward Tomkins (1918) Worcestershire Reg.t. Died of wounds at La Vacquverie aged 31. Buried St Severs Cemetery, Rouen. White on black.
Charles St Lo Auber (1916) Lieut. Killed in France aged 21. Buried in the British Cemetery, Maroeil. Wood surrounded of carved vines and military badges.
Charles William Symes (1915) Solicitor and Town Clerk of Blandford. Captain 4th B.n. Dorset Regiment. Died at Amara, Mesopotamia 'when serving in the 2nd B.n with the Indian Expeditionary Force.' Aged 30.
Margaret Creswell Jessop (1914) wife of the late Major Charles Scott Jessop, Indian Army. Also to their two younger sons: Charles Thorp Jessop CIE VD ADC (ob 1915) Col. Commandant Assam Valley Lt Horse and John William Jessop MRCSEng LRCPLond (ob 1915) Lt Col 4th Lincolns. Killed at Kemmel, Flanders. Both sons aged 56
Dartmouth
St Petrox
Near the castle O/S Ref: SX 886 503
From left to right: 1. Barbara Plumleigh (1610). 2. Dorothy Roys (1617).  John Roope (1609). 4. Elizabeth Roope (1683); her husband, Edward (1698) & their son, Edward (1674)
Dartmouth
St Saviour
O/S Ref: SX 869 515

From left to right: 1.Robert Vavosor (1694) & his son, Henry (1727) 2. William Edward Taylor, rector & his wife Elizabeth Susan. Erected 1902. 4. Rubbing of removed brass. John Hawley (1402) and wives, Alicia (1403) & Joanna (1394)



Above: John Taylor (1803) Also his daughter, Mary (1777 @5) Both buried in this aisle.
Dean Prior - St George


Herrick (1674) Vicar. Tablet set up in 1857
O/S Ref: SX 730 635

Above & left top & right top:Sir Edward Giles (1637) & Mary & John (1632)  He built Dean Court House and was knighted at the coronation of James I. Both of his wives were called Mary: Mary Northcote & Mary Drew, both of Hayne. His brother-in-law was Barnabas Potter, Calvinist bishop of Carlisle, whom he presented here as vicar. The next vicar was Robert Herrick, who was ejected at the Protectorate and reinstated at the Restoration and who was a poet writing the monument's epitaph:
'No trust to metals, not to marbles, when these have their fate and wear away as men. Time, titles, trophies may be lost and spent, but virtue rears the eternal monument. What more than these can tombs or tombstones pay? But here's the sunset of a tedious day. These two asleep are; I'll but  be undrest and so to bed. Pray wish us all good rest'.
Denbury - St Mary the Virgin
O/S Ref: SX 823 688


Left: John Taylor (1733) By Weston (1736). Note the canon seemingly passing through the obelisk, anchor and relie of a naval battle.
Above left:
Furse family
Above right:
Rebecca Baker (1882)
Right top:
Mjr-Gen William Colyton (1854) Lt Governor of the Royal Military College, Sandhurst
Right bottom:
A self explanatory painted wooden board about a will of 1818
Dolton - St Edmund
Church unlocked: friendly welcome. Park somewhere in village.
 Note the Anglo-Saxon font in the centre foreground of the interior.
O/S O/S Ref: SS 570 120


'Jill' Furse (1916-1944)

Grave of Barbara Dolignon Furse, actress and poet, who died shortly after childbirth. Wife of Laurence Whistler. Monument by his brother John 'Rex' Whistler.


Barbara Lister (1697)

Marble inscription plate (now difficult to read) with surrounding stone cartouch (not wood as often stated)


J H M Furse (1950)

The sculptor and his two wives:
Ethel Dolignon (1887) whom he married 1886 the mother of Ralph. 
Evelyn (1963)
Slates by: Laurence Whistler

Rowland Hooper (1717)

'buried ye 26th day of June Anno Dom 1717. ' He left £5.00, the interest of which was to be distributed amongst the poor. Incised slate.

On Jill Furse's grave is a slate slab of Ralph (1887-1973) & Celia (1889-1975) Furse

Other Wall Monuments
Rev Thomas Owen (1778) 'many years Rector'. His wife Philippa (1783). Their son Thomas (1829) surgeon. B&W tablet with urn. Signed: T Gould Barum.
Alexandre Peters Drummond MD (1908) choirmaster. Wall brass.
Thomas Webber (1815). His wife Mary (1821). Their daughter Mary (1818) B&W Tablet.
Peter Wellington Furse (1832) 'Clerk'. His wife Mary (1847) Their son (clearly added later) John Henry (1855) 'In the family vault beneath...' Architectural.
Elizabeth (1823) wife of Thomas Owen, surgeon (see above). Their eldest daughter Jane (1814), wife of William Cooke, Surgeon. B&W tablet with urn. Signed: J K Exon
Grace W------- Furse (inscrip. worn) eldest daughter ot Peter Wellington Furse (see above). B&W tablet with urn.
John Heaman (1843) 'Yeoman'. His wife Alice (1831) Signed Baker
Wing Comm Bernard Edward Smythies DFC (1930) Served with RAF in WWI. Killed in flying accident. Wall brass with black background.
------- (180-) 'Gent'. B&W with urn. Inscription worn and monument partly obscured by new building.
William Knaplock MA (1664) ... and of the free schoole at Crediton. Rector of this church and of hymselfe...' Incised slate.
Thomas Stafford Esq (1835) Added later: his wife Eliza (ob 1887) Architectural tab
Thomas Webber (1823, age 28), his child Mary (1823, age 5 months) 'Their remains are interred on the south side of the church yard'. B&W tablet.
 
East Ogwell - St Bartholomew
O/S Ref: SX 838 700
Left & above (detail) Richard Reynell (1585)
Right: Sir Richard Reynell (1648) and other members of the family
Eggesford - All Saints
O/S Ref: SS 687 111
Left & Centre Top: Rt Hon Edward Lord Viscount Chichester kt (1648) & Dame Anne (1616) Alabaster
Right & Centre Bottom:
Dorcas (1630) first wife of Rt Hon Arthur Lord Viscount Chichester, son of above; Lady Mary (1648), his second wife. Arthur died in 1675 and is shown standing between his two wives but is buried in Ireland

Exbourne - St Mary

Church unlocked. Park in village, may be tight
OS Ref: SS 602 019

Left: Simon Westlake (1667) Rustic inscription
Right: Curious inscription on stone now against north wall: God has delivered Elizabeth Colthe (?) from the anger of her enemies. I have not been able to find the meaning of this; if anyone knows please let me know.

Other Wall Monuments
Privates William Smale & George Piper (1900) of 'The Exbourne Sector CC 4th Vol Batt Devon Reg' Both died aged 22 in Elandslaacte, Natal in the S African war. B&W tab with military badge.
Doyle William Oldham (1909) Rector here for 32 years. Wall brass
Edmund Tatershall (1801 age 18) Oval gray tablet.
Top of Page

 Page  next: Exeter <2> <3> <4>

Return to previous ('Monuments') page click here