<previous>   page <1> <2> <3>
 Peter Tavy  Shebbear Sheepstor Shillingford  Shute South Tawton  Stowford Talaton Tavistock  Tawstock Teigngrace  Torre Abbey Totnes  Trusham  Weare Giffard Wembury Whimple Whitchurch Widworthy Winkleigh
Peter Tavy - St Peter
Church unlocked during normal hours. Park in car park in front of the church SX 513 778
Left: Thomas Pocock (1720) '...who was Rectr...near 40 years...
Border inscription states: 'Here lie ye bodies of five daughters of Richard Evelegh Rector of Petertavy; 2 Maries, 2 Elizabeths & one Eleanor All who died younge. Ye longest last liver being but a yeare old whē she died Sept 13th 1632'. A verse occupies the centre part.
Other Monuments
'Francis John Bryant gave in 1940 the altar and reredos in memory of his wife Rachel Constance and in 1952 the south doors in memory of Sidney William his brother and Mary Arminel Elizabeth his sister' Incised wooden tablet.
The stalls were given in memory of Brian Charles Cowper Pratt MA. Prebenday of Exeter and Rector 1932-65. Incised wooden tablet.
Rev William MacBeanum (?) 184_ 30 years rector. Frances (1847) his wife and three young infants. Gothik tablet
John (1826) & Margaret (1824) Cole and their daughter Elizabeth (1824) 'Their remains rest beneath this tablet' B&W tablet. By Bovey & coj

Shebbear - St Michael
Church normally unlocked but keyholder given should this not be the case. Park in front of the church. O/S Ref: SX 438 092

Robert Harrington (1787) and his wife Elizabeth (1785) Their son William Yeo Harrington; their daughters: Maria Ann Kent (1801) & Blandina (1847)
  Far Left:  Lady Prendergast of Ludford (late 14th C) ? Said to have been originally on an altar tomb.
Above: Francis (1671)
son of Jonathan & Mary Battishill. Mary Perkin (1692) their daughter; her son Richard (1692 age 3). Their sons: William (1692), Jonathan (1693) '...died in Oxford of a consumption (contracted by hard study)...'
Above centre: Master William Battishill (1666) '...vicar...who was here underneath buried...' ; his wife Susanna (1671). Mrs Mary Battishill (1697) '...the wife of Master Jonathan Battishill now vicar of this church...' See above right for memorial to members of the latter's family. The Battishills were vicars for 99 years.

Other Wall Monuments
Joseph Balkwill (1860 B&W tablet with foliage
William Ackland & Clara.
No dates - possibly 1972 for the former. 'Sexton, Church Warden & Bellringer' Black tablet
Rev Peter D Foulkes BA (1834)
Vicar for 25 years. B&W tablet
Mary Hearn (1818)
' the 38th year of her birth to Twins who survived with six other children...' B&W tablet, oval with arms
Henry Hearn (1876)
& his wife Mary Maria (1892) B&W Tablet
William Hockin Braud (1865),
his wife Mary (1836), their son William Hockin and his wife Rahel. B&W tablet
John Brent Reed (1875)
his wife Elizabeth (1855) their son John (1869) B&W tablet with rose motif. By Baker
Mary Bernard (1787)
B&W with urn and arms
Georgina Mill (1980)
Black tablet
Henry Paul Kingdom (1989)
priest Black tablet
Susanna Brent (1782)
and her sister Jane Harrington (1791) B&W Tablet
Slate, now on outside wall, to Susannah Martin (1719)
The two slate tablets to Browne Badcock and William Rigsby , referred to in Pevsner , are in the choir vestry
'In this vault are deposited the mortal remains of...' James Fortescue (1796); his son Henry (1791); his granddaughter Catherine Anne 1822 age 16m); his grandson Thomas Henry (1831 age 11). Although this now rests against the wall of the Lady Chapel, it was presumably the entrance to the vault.
George Hockin (1813) gray/white tablet with arms
William Hock (1802) B&W tablet with arms
Hugh Brent (1844), his first wife Elizabeth (1812) and his second wife Mary (1844) B&W tablet
'Under the seats in this alley are deposited the remains of...' William Hockin (1799) and his wife Dorothy (1769)
Sheepstor - St Leonard
O/S Ref: SS 560 676
Elizabeth Elford (1641) Alabaster Note the drawn back curtains.
Shillingford St George -
St George
Near Exeter. Church locked: no details. Church is in a field O/S Ref: 903 878
Sir William Huddersfield (1499) & Katherine Tomb and details of brasses: two daughters and one son. Recorder of Exeter, he became Attorney-General to King Edward IV
'May the Maker and Redeemer of my body and soul be to me Physician and guardian of both Dame Katheryn ye wife of Sir William Huddersfield  and daughter of Sir Phyl Courtenay Knyght.'
Shute -  St Michael
Church open. Park in one of the lanes near the church . O/S Ref: SS 890 007
Sir William Pole (1741) Master of the Household of Queen Anne. Made 1746 by Richard Hayward in the studio of Henry Cheere Sophia Lady Pole (1808 age 20) by Peter Rouw. Children: Sophie Ann (1803 age 2 months), William Templer (1806 died at birth), John George (b. 1808) Margaret Pole (1886), Julia Pole (1849) Jane Pole (1838) Georgina Pole (1854) by Hems    
Jane Maria Harrington (1837 age 22) Youngest daughter of Sir William Templer Pole Bt. Signed: R Rouw Scupt London Anne de la Pole (1832) Widow of John 6th Baronet Sir John de la Pole (1799) Sir William de la Pole, 7th Baronet (1847) Hon Mrs Anne Cocks (1805) by Westmacott Snr
Other Monuments
Thomas Webster (1912) Organist Gray tablet
Jane Templer (1847) Gothick architectural tablet
Lt Charles Harman Baines (1872) 5th Lancers. Died at Sealkore, India at 24 B&W tablet with crossed flags.
Cpt Harry Glasper MC Durham Light Infantry KIA 1944 Velzen NW Germany. Bronze tablet with military badge.
Annie Elizabeth Bird (1955) Organist White tablet
Charles Beckford Templer 'who, on the 6 night Ianuary 1786, perish'd in the Halsewell East-India-Mann, in Studland Bay' Sir James Templer John William Pole Bt (1782) Elizabeth de la Pole (17__) John Clapp (1788)  
South Tawton - St Michael
The church is open during normal hours. Park in the village. O/S Ref: SX 653 944
John Wykes (1591) Note the goose at his feet.
Other Wall Monuments
Dame Maria Palmer Hoare (1845) B&W tablet with draped urn. This is on the south wall above the screen and difficult to see
William Oxenham (1731) '... by will gave five pounds yearly to ye poor of South Tawton...' Also his wfe Mary (1739) White tablet
Francis Moore (1739), his wife Mary (1742), their son Francis (1750), his wife Mary (17--) and their son Francis (1754) B&W oval tablet
Thomas Battishall (1728) Plain B&W tablet with arms
Aphrah Battishall (1727) Wife of the above. Plain B&W tablet with arms
Rev William Moore (1799) Rector of North Tawton, Vicar of Speyton; his son Rev Francis Moore (1795) Rector of Inwardleigh. Elizabeth (1806) wife of William & Grace (1831). B&W tablet with pediment and urn.
George Oxenham (177-) B&W tablet with arms.
John Steer (1792) B&W tablet
Robert Burgoyne Above are figures of the parents kneeling at the prayer desk and below a slate with incised figures of their children: 6 kneeling sons with an infant in a shroud on the dexter side and 2 kneeling daughters with a baby in a cradle on the sinister side. Below these figures are their initials and below some a skull. Dated 1651
Wall Brasses
William Wykes-Finch (1920) & Dame Emily Dudley (1912) Both buried at Davenham, Cheshire. Bronze on black stone, raised in relief, enamelled shield and border.
William Robert Wykes-Finch (1922)
Honorary Canon of Newcastle. Bronze with raised letters on stone.
Oxenhams of Oxenham House '... buried in the church...' '... erected by surviving members of the family A.S. 1881. RIP.'
Pte John Rupert Clarke (1917 age 29) kia at Courcelette. 2nd Lt. Gerald Foulkes Clarke (1917 age 27) kia '...while leading his company at Tower Hamlets'. Sons of Rev J F Clarke, vicar 1880-1907. With two military badges. By J Whippell & Co Ltd
Sophia Curson (1897), her husband Josheph Mackey (1890) and their son William Curson Mackey (1896) 'clerk in holy orders' On marble base
Richard Dunning (1871)
records the erection of the tower window by his daughter. He died 'in the 102nd year of his age'

'Elizabeth Hole and her sone, buried Jan xvii 1653' Grave slab; note the incised arms which appear in various combinations on other monuments and elsewhere in the church. William Oxenham 1743
St Andrew

Left: 'Under-neath st ye end of this seat in ye alley was buried Iset Cock of this parish who departed this life ye 20th day of August in ye year of our Lord 1746 in ye 93 year of her age'
Above: William Blackaller (1846); also his sister, Susannah Crockwell (1848); also Elias Blackaller (1851)
O/S Ref: SX 432 682
Stowford - St John the Baptist
O/S Ref: SX 432 682

Right and detail above: John Harris (1710) & Wife. He married firstly Margaret Tuckfield and secondly Anne Seymour
Far Right:
Christopher Harris (1718) & Mary Ann (1726) 
Erected 1726 Their two children died in infancy and lie at their feet
Talaton - St James
The church is below the rest of the village. Park in the village then take the road by the red telephone box to the church; the road then  becomes a path to the church, which is unlocked. O/S Ref: SY 067 997
From left to right: Charles Harwood (1816), Charles Harwood (1718), Charlotte Augusta Harwood (1848). She was the daughter of the architect Sir William Chambers Thomas Phillips (1806)
The monuments to John Leach (1613) described as architectural with crude putti, strapwork and acrostic verse (Pevsner) is locked in the tower. He was Chancellor of Exeter Cathedral and Rector of Talaton, Washfield and Arlington. He father and brother were blacksmiths in Crediton.
James Amyatt MP (1813) & Maria (1804) white tablet. She was the widow of Peter Amyatt before marrying his brother James, who had been murdered in India on his wedding day.
Katherine Bradford (1785) widow of Rev George Bradfors and daughter of Rev Charles Harwood, both rectors here. Slate inscription.
Hilda Frances Boles (1943) & George Coleridge Boles (1976) brass
A coloured inscription records dedication of a window to Robert Palk Welland (1841) Rector here. Buried at Shillingford where he was also rector with Dunchideock.

Tavistock - St Eustacius

The church is open during normal hours. Park in one of the town's pay car parks, a short walk from the church. O/S Ref: SX 481 744
Lower Monument Above:
Elizabeth Carpenter (1830)

'relict of John Phillips Carpenter'. His monument is above: 'in the north aisle of the church are deposited the remains of John Phillips'

Upper Monument Above:
John Phillips Carpenter (1813)
a magistrate
Carpenter Family
In the north and this aisle lie interred the remains of: Benjamin, Patience, John, Christian Patience, George Edgcombe, Charles Coryndon, Patience Christian
and Rev Benjamin Edgcombe

by J Francis of Clapham
Bredall Family
by Hems 1809 Relief of Christ the Healer.
'Near the East End of the Aisle is interred the remains of William Bredall, surgeon '(1751) Also Alice, his wife. Also William Bredall, surgeon (1825) and his wife, Mary (1816) Also their son William John Knighton Bredall, surgeon (1831)
Also in memory of Jane (1849), wife of above. Buried at Bude, Cornwall. Of John Bredall, surgeon (1864) son of the above. Buried at Woolborough, Newton Abbot. Also Mary Bredall (1846) daughter of William & Mary. Buried in the Old Cemetery, Tavistock.
John Granville (1600) & Alicia

He reclines, resting on a cushion on which is also a skull; she kneels. Against the chest stand several children. He was a MP and an attorney who became a Justice of the Court of Common Pleas. Good portraiture. Alabaster, polychrome.

John Fytz (1509), Mary and their son, another John (1605)
The younger John kneels at a prayer desk behind the recumbent couple. 
Above:Wall tablet to Edward Atkins Bray BD FSA (1875) He was Vicar of Tavistock for 45 years and married Charles Stothard's widow.
There are many 19th and 20th century brass wall plaques in the church; I have listed them anticlockwise from the south (main) door:-
George Hodgshon, Vicar 1956-66. Small plate stating he is commemorated by the adjacent south porch gates.
Major A Lockhart Gallie (1915) also his eldest daughter Margaret (1903) age 13
Joseph Edgcombe (1805) and his widow Mary (1866)
Hugh Mockler-Ferryman Lt. 52nd Oxfordshire Buckinghamshire Light Infantry. Killed in action at Aisne 1914 age 22. Bronze on marble. Military badge.
Mary Elizabeth Williams (1891) & John Daby Williams (1894) 'Interred in the Family Grave at the Old Cemetery'
Reverend John Wilmot Neat (1875) & Delicia (1914)
Georgiana Susan Keene (1890) wife of Captain Alfred Keene DSO and daughter of Rev. John Wilmot Neat MA
Reginald Thynne (1932) chorister & wife Sarah (1926)
Richard Sleman FRCS (1877) and his son John LSA (1874)
Elizabeth Chubb (1894) 'for thirty years caretaker of this church'
Orlando Jolliffe (1964) 'choirman, sidesman and churchwarden'
Mary Grace Johnstone (1900) wife of John Douglas Johnstone 'solicitor of this town'
William Edwin Tamor (1925)
Alfred Bray Treloar (1946) Headmaster of the Church School. In his memory the Lady Chapel was reseated
Reverend Edward Spenser MA (1905) Headmaster of Tavistock Grammar School from 1854 until closure in 1888. Indicates that a window was erected in his memory by Fouracres of Plymouth.
William Thomas Wyatt (1962) First Headmaster of S Ramon School
Edward Codrington Collins Wilson MA (1896) Vicar of Strete; he was curate at Tavistock for 8 years.
Rev.d Daniel Pring Alford MA (1911) Vicar
Hugh Leslie Bickersteth Monument records that the nearby east window was erected in his memory, made by James Powell's Whitefriar's Glass Company. Vicar 1918-46
Osborne John Tancock DCL (1875) Vicar
Reverend Walter James Tait MA Vicar 1872-1883
Roy Wyndham Stevenson Vicar 1967-72 Records that St Mary Magdalene Chapel was restored in his memory in 1974. His stone is on the floor below the brass

More Brasses:
John Hornbrook Gill (1874) records that  the window above was erected in his memory; this is the Burne-Jones and William Morris window. Gill's son married Morris's sister.
Emily Churchill (1912)
William Clotworthy Organist and choirmaster from 1907-1942
Lucy Carpenter, widow of John. Presumably refers to window above erected 1881, maker unknown

Samuel Peek Haddy (1915) churchwarden
Wilfred. Glanville Spencer (1896) Lt Royal Marines; Edward Macready Spencer MD (1924); Charles William Spencer (1924) - sons of Edward Spencer MA. Also Arthur Egerton Spencer killed on the Somme 1916 Lt Sherwood Foresters, son of Edward Macready; also Sophie Madelaine (1932), wife of Charles William and their son, Wilfred Edward Chetwode (1932), Capt in the Royal Sussex Reg; also Frances Laura (1945), daughter of Edward Spencer MA.
John Benson (1887) 'who spent 30 years of a useful and honoured life in this town as steward to the Dukes of Bedford'.
Ellen Mary Ellis (1923) wife of Mjr A J Ellis DSO, 'murdered by tribesmen at Kohat, India 14th April 1923' and Alan Timbrell (ob 1922). Both were children of Capt W T Timbrell and Mary, daughter of John Benson.
Adleaine Octavia Benson (1915) widow of John. Buried at Redland, Bristol with her husband
Other Wall Monuments:
Samuel Chubb Gent (1821) & Elizabeth (1808) black and white with urn
Mrs Jane Toll (1808) widow of the late Rev.d John Frederick Toll, Vicar of Kingsclere, Hampshire
John Rundle Esq (1864) magistrate, buried at Hampstead
Mr Richard Parson (1785) surgeon & Margaret (1767) , black and white with urn
'Caroline Relict of the Rev.d Robert Serrell Wood' (1842) black and white
Mary Sleeman (1803) age 21, widow of Captain Richard Sleeman. black and white
Small stone with painted and carved arms; the inscription is not legible
Sophia witten on urn which is on a tablet with the added inscription 'widow of Francis Willesford' (1812) Below this is added another tablet: Francis Willesford (1842) and below this another, Charles Willesford (1899) Arms below.
Charles Hawke (1788) & Grace (1756) black and white oval with angel below and arms above.
'In the centre aisle of this church are deposited the remains of George Bridgeman solicitor (1850) and Susannah Goodman Bridgeman (1825) black and white
George Fortescue William Fortescue (17--) large grey oval tablet now difficult to read.
Mary Jane Lethbridge (1879) black & white
There is recess with ogee arch with angel' head and wins at apex. This has been reset and could be a tomb or part of  an Easter sepulchre.

Top of Page

Tawstock - St Peter

Church open during normal hours but if locked address of nearby keyholder is given on door.
Large free car park outside church. It is not on private hands despite appearence
'A Hidden Treasure' so well worth the tortuous drive.
'The best collection (of monuments) in the county, apart from those in the Cathedral'. Pevsner O/S Ref: SS 559 299

South Choir Aisle

Far Left: the head of the Lady Fitzwarren effigy
Near Left: the head of the child kneeling at the foot of the William Bourchier monument
Right: Head of  the Countess Rachel effigy

Frances Lady Fitzwarren (1589) above with details of her effigy below

Above Thomas Hinson (1614) & Wife
Below Peter Gould  (1666)
painted slate

Top: Sara Pollard
BottomGeorge Fane (b. 8-3-1668. d.11-3-1668) wood painted to look like marble

William Skippon (1633)

Henry Bourchier, 5th Earl of Bath (1659)
probably by Thomas Burman

Rachel, Countess
of Bath (1680) 

wife of 5th Earl; by Balthazar Burman

Wall Tablets in the Choir Aisle:
Sir Philip Bourchier Sherard Wrey CBE 12th Baronet (1936) Rhodesian Pioneer. Marble with arms.
Edward Castell Bourchier Toke Wrey (1933) 7th son of 10th Baronet. Marble with arms.
Christopher Bourchier Wrey TD (1976) 2nd son of Edward Castell. Marble with crest
Reginald Charles Bourchier Wrey (1931) 8th son of 10th Baronet. His wife Evelyn (1931). Their son Charles Bourchier Wrey (1991) and his wife Peggy (1996) Marble with crest.


Please note that the wooden medieval effigy of a lady, originally in an alcove in the choir, is now housed in Barnstaple Museum.
Other Monuments:
Tablet to Anna Maria Reeves (1867) Wife of Rev Isaac Morgan Reeves, Rector of Myros, County Cork and daughter of Rev Henry Bouchier Wrey, Rector of Tawstock. She was buried in Douglas church yard, near Cork.
Two small brasses:
Hon Marianne Sarah, Lady Wrey (1896) The sanctuary corona was dedicated to her memory.
Mary Elizabeth Ellen Page Joce (1918) The sanctuary carpets are in her memory.
Tablet to Rev.d Mr Chichester Wrey AM (1756) Rector of Tawstock for 40 years. 'and was buried underneath.'
Maria Naylor (1678) Slate with stone surround with carved foliage and winged cherub's head below
Jane Naylor (1705) Tablet with flaming torch and arms.

William Bourchier, 3rd Earl of Bath (1623) & Wife. painted alabaster


Maria St John (1631)

Sir Bourchier Wrey, Baronet (1696)
by: Thomas Jewell the Elder of Barnstaple

 Note the son and young daughter at the head and daughter with baby at the foot of the Bouchier tomb.

South Transept

This transept houses the Wrey Family vault and the various memorials are to those buried there

Top Left : Rev.d Sir Henry Bourchier Wrey 9th Baronet. (1882) Rector for 40 years. Also his first wife Ellen Take (1864) and his second wife Jane Lamb (1889)

Top Right: Sir Bourchier Wrey, Bt. (ob 1826)

Bottom: William Bourchier Sherard Wrey CMG CBE (1926) Captain RN. 4th Son of 10th  Baronet 'Egypt 1882 & 1885 China 1900 Relief of Pekin & the Great War' Ashes buried at sea.

Sir Bourchier Wrey (1784)

 Top: Ann Bourchier Wrey (1813)
Bottom: Mary Lady Wrey (1751) marble sarcophagus

 Anne Lady Wrey (1791) by King of Bath

Other Monuments:
Tablet: Albany Bourchier Wrey 13th Baronet (1948)
Brasses: Isabel Frances Sophia Wrey (1921) wife of Rev Albany B S Wrey, Rector. 'lies buried in Sutton at Hone church yard, close to her old home.'
Alice Mary Down (1880)
North Transept

Sir John Wrey (1597) slate covered tomb chest and back plate
Originally St Ives, Cornwall. Transferred in 1924, a Wrey having married a Bourchier in 1652

Ann Chilcot (1758)
Wife of Thomas Chilcot, organist of Bath
His inscription remains unfinished

From top Lady Rolle (1705) by Thomas Jewell of Barnstaple
Rev.d Bourchier William Wrey (1839) 38 years Rector & Sophia (1848)
'in this churchyard are interred the earthly remains of Ellen Maria Wrey (1864) wife of Rev Henry Bourchier Wrey

Starting top left and then clockwise:
Sir Henry Bourchier Toke Wrey DL, 9th Bt (1900)
Sir Henry Northcote (1729) by T. Jewell Jnr
Robert Wrey Esq (1809) Major General in Portuguese Service ; & Anne (1813)
Florence Lady Wrey (1724) daughter of John Rolle; by Thomas Jewell the Elder of Barnstaple



Nave and Aisles

Other Monuments:
Corp W Fisher (1910) died at Bloemfontie 'of enteric' 27th company of Imperial Yeomanry. B&W tablet

Joseph Gaydon (1946) churchwarden for 39 years. Marble tablet
Mary wife of Richard Haydon (17__) Also Richard Haydon (1806) B&W oval with draped urn.
Rebecca Burrows (1792) B&W with urn. Room below for more inscriptions but never added.

Lady Marianne Wrey (1896) by Hems

Sir Bouchier Robert Sherard Wrey, 11th Bt. JP DL Captain in RN. Mjr & Hon. Lt. Col. Royal North Devon Hussars

Edward Lovett. slate in oval frame

Robert Lovett (1710) 'dyed of a malignant small pox'
by: Thomas Jewell the Elder of Barnstaple

Julian wife of John Slowly (1711) Six children, two of whom - Joan (1698) & Richard (1710) - died before her and 'lie buried underneath in ye same grave'. 'Near this same place is likewise buried ye body of  John Slowly Jnr' (17__) , eldest and only surviving son. Added below: 'In the same grave with her father and mother is also buried Christia Slowly (1760), youngest daughter. 'Underneath in the same grave with Julian his wife lieth buried also the above John Slowly.' (1718)

Top of Page
St Peter & St Paul
Church locked: no information. O/S Ref: SX 849 739
Francis James Templer (1854) Lt Col Henry Line Templer (1818) Rev John Templer AM (1869)
37 years rector here
Elizabeth Templer (1850)
wife of John, left
John Hatherly (1829) & Martha (1852)
From left to right: Jane Templer (1813)' wife of John, rector;  Mary Templer (1784); Lt Col Richard Harold St Maur (1927); George Templer (1843) and below: Francis Buller Templer (1903) & Emma (Turton), his wife (1816) & their son, Philip Arthur (1899)
Richard Harold St Maur was born 6th June 1869, the illegitimate son of Edward Adolphus Ferdinand Seymour, Earl St Maur and Duke of Somerset, and Rosina Elizabeth Swan, a 19 year old half-gypsy named of Higham near Bury St Edmunds. His father died when he was a few months old.
He was educated at Wellington College and Sanhurst before serving with the 14th Hussars and later with the 1sr Division Royal Devon Yeomanry. He fought in the Boer War at Natal with the 7th Remounts and Royal 1st Devon Imperial Devon Yeomanry.  He fought in the Great War in Gallipoli, Egypt, Palestine and Syria. He was liaison officer between Field Marshall Allenby and the French forces. He was Officer de la Legion d'Honneur and Le Croix de Guerre avec trois palmers.
In 1891 he married Elizabeth, daughter of Captain W. H. Palmer of the 14th Hussars; they had three sons.
In 1925 after the death of the 15th Duke, he petitioned the House of Lords to safeguard his claim to the dukedom whilst he sought evidence that his parents were in fact married. When his grandfather died he was still presumed illegitimate and the dukedom passed to a different line of the family. He resorted to placing adverts in the papers offering a reward of £50 for anyone who could prove they had witnesses his parents marriage.
He eventually inherited Stover estate from his grandfather.
Above left: Joseph Challis (1683) rector
Above right:
Richard Dalling RN (1811)
'slain in battle, October 21st 1805'
Far right:
Cornwallis, Lord Viscount Hawarded, Baron de Montalt, Baronett of Dundrum (1803)

Left & above: Mrs Mary Templer (1829); she was widow of:
Right & far right:
James Templer (1813)

Above (detail) & right: Charles Templer (1786) He died in the ship Halsewell bound for Bengall which was wrecked in a storm on St Albans Head in the Isle of Purbeck, Dorset. Of the 240 crew and passengers, only 74 survived.
Far right:
Captain William Templer RN (1805) He died with his purser and boats crew in a shipwreck near the island of Jamaca. Also his brother Charles (1806) who died in a shipwreck with the whole crew when the Skilton Castle .
Above left: James Templer (1782)
Above right:
Rev John Templer AM JP (1832) 45 years rector here and vicar of Paignton cum Marldon
Far right:
George Templer (1819) of the East India Service

  Torre Abbey, Torquay  
 Torre Abbey, founded in 1196, fell into decay after the Dissolution, but the S & W ranges were converted into domestic buildings by Thomas Ridgeway after 1598. The Cary family, owners from 1662, enlarged and altered the house in the 17th and 18th centuries. The main part of the W range is occupied by the medieval guest house which the Caries converted into a RC chapel in 1779, where there are a number of monuments to the Carys and others. There are also several brasses but these are replicas.  O/S Ref: SX 907 638

Above left: Lt Lionel S T M Cary (1855) Died at Malta on his way home from the Crimea. having been wounded before Sebastopol, aged 18.
Above right:
Robert Shedden Sulyarde Cary (1898). His wife, Margaret Mary died in 1906.
George Cary (1805) & his wife, Cecilia (1779)
Far right:
 Henry Franklin RN Midshipman, who drowned at 17. Buried in vault 'in this church'.

From left to right: 1.  Edward Cary Jnr (1816) Buried in family vault in Torre church. 2. Sarah Franklin (1827) Also buried in the family vault. 3. John Cary (1820) & his wife, Sophia  (1814) Buried in a vault at Hampstead. Also to George Cary (1826). Buried in family vault. 4 top: Lt Henry J L Cary Died in South Africa during the Boer War. bottom: Bertha Elizabeth Cary (1875) Wife of Lucius Cary 6 top: Henry Frazer Lovat Cary (1838) aged 4y & 11m. Buried in vault in St Mary's church. bottom: Two children of LuciusCary and his second wife, Louisa: Arminel (1883) aged 3y & 5m and Lionel (1880) who died at birth.
  Totnes - St Mary
O/S Ref: SX 802 604
Christopher Blackhall (1633) with his four wives, three of whom predeceased him
Above left: Thomas Martin 'batchelor who exchanged this life for a better ye 15th day of January 1690 aged 58 years who gave the lands of a house and meadow in Barnstaple forever to ye poor of Totnes to be given in bread every Lords say in this isle, as is expressed in his last will and testament.'
Above centre:
Richard Martin 'merchant sometime maior of this towne who changed this life for a better'...1663
Above right:
John Prince AM (1723) Vicar of Totnes 1675-1681, then vicar of Bovey Pomeroy where he is buried. Also to Lt Octavious Benthall RN drowned with four shipmates of HMS Osprey in New Zealand in 1846; buried at Hokianga and other members of the family.
Far right:
Walter Smythe (1555) founder of Totnes grammar school
 Various wall monuments
St Michael & All Angels
O/S Ref: SX 855 821

Above: on left: George Stooke (1814) & Mary, his wife. on right: William Stooke (1677) 'presbyter'; his sons William (1676) & James (1677)
Hugh & Sabina Staplehill  (1583) with three daughters and three sons. Painted wooden panel with brass insciption below.
Far Right:
John & Mary Stooke (1697) see below
They have given for the celebration of ye Holy Eucharist 4 Sundays in this parish 7, m ye parish of Bovey Tracey 3 Sundays 5, m ye parish of Bridfor 2 Sundays 2 10 p annum forever. Also 3 p anum for 4 loaves p week, for 4 persons of this parish, and 2 to buy wheat at Christmas, the one mosety to 8 poor persons of this parish the other to 8 poor persons of Ashton forever. Also 3 to the poor of each of the almhouses of xtow and Ashton and to the rector of Trusham 3 p an issuing out of Smiths-hays m Xstow the remainder of the vicar thereof. Also 2/2/ p an forever for 4 loaves p week to 4 poor persons in the almshouse of Hennock. They have also erected an almshouse in this parish and endowed it with the tenement of Merdon and Christow value of 12 p an for all which donations the ddeds are in the box adjoyning. Let your light so shine
Weare Giffard - Holy Trinity
Church open during normal hours. Park near church: may be limited space. Village in the low land on the banks of the River Torridge: area can flood. O/S Ref: SS 467 221
Kn/L of c1300.  He under an arch in nave; she similarly in the chancel but unfortunately behind the choir stalls. Said to be Sir Walter & Alice Gifford. Local legend says that they were once together on a table tomb in the chancel and that Sir Walter's ghost walks at midnight seeking his lady!
Above: Eleanor Fortescue (1847) Brass cross with inscription below on the lid.
Right: Erected by Hugh Fortescue (1661) to his grandparents Hugh (1600) & Elizabeth (1630), who keel facing each other on the upper tier; and his parents John (!605) & Mary (1637) who kneel facing forwards on the lower tier. The latter's children and grandchildren are represented in roundals and ovals, respectively on either side.
Not yet visited
Whimple - St Mary
church open during normal hours: park in square outside church. O/S Ref: SY 044 972
Rev John Hickes DD Rector (1707) Canon Thomas Heberden MA Rector (1754)
inscription by Simon Rowe; surround by Hayward who also rebuilt the church in the 19th century.
Anna Maria Necome (1732)
She was the wife of Daniel Newcome Rector and Dean of Gloucester
Other Monuments
Dame Lydia Imbert-Terry (1918) B&W tablet with arms
Henry Manchu Imbert-Terry Bt (1938) Tablet. Husband of the above
Henry Bouhier Imbert-Terry Bt (1962) Royal Artillery, DSC, MC, Knight of St John & his wife Mildred Dorothy (1975) Dame of St John Tablet
Ida Edna Park (1955) 35 years nurse and friend to the above family
Widworthy - St Cuthbert
Aim for Wilmington on the A35 between Bridport and Honiton; Widworthy Church is signposted to the south. Church open - park outside. A particularly delightful church to visit.
O/S Ref: SY 214 992

Above: Knight c 1400, said to be  Sir William Prouz   He holds a shield which is carved with his arms in relief but this faces the wall: the arms are: Crusily of cross-crosslets, three lions rampant.
Left: Sarah Marwood (1797)  by W Pinder. Below  the monument is added a tablet to James Marwood Elton (1827), the son-in-law of Sarah.
Right: James Marwood (1767) by John Bacon. Possibly made a while after death.
Left:  Robert Marwood (1767) and his sister Bridget Marwood (1736)
Above left: illegible 17th century
Above right:
Alice Isack (1685)
Right: James Thomas Marwood (1811) by Peter Rouw
  Left: Thomas White (1838)  Steward of the manor
James Somaster (1748) The monument was made in his lifetime and the date of death added later; note the different lettering.
Other Monuments 
Ethelreda Tucker (1928) marble tablet
Rev William John Tucker (1830) Rector of the parish for 62 years.
Leonard Bazeley Snell, organist (kia 1918 age 25) brass
Whitchurch - St Andrew
O/S Ref: SX 493 727
Above: Mooringe Family (c 1620) slate
Alice, sometime the wife of Anthony Mooringe Gentleman who was buried ye 5th day of May 162_
___ wife of Anthony Mooringe Gent who was buried the X day of November 1617
All so the body of John the sonne of Anthony Mooringe who was buried the LX day of February 1620
All so the body of Anthony the sonne of Anthony Mooringe who was buried the XXIII January 1627
All so the bosy of Marye the daughter of Anthony Mooringe who was buried the Vth day of June 16__
Left: Francis Pengelly (1722) by Weston
  Winkleigh - All Saints  
Church usually open. Park in the town. Expert cider maker on the edge of town. O/S Ref: SS 632 080
'Here underneath lyeth Immaturely Enterr'd..' Bartholomew Gidley (1702) 'In Memorie of Arthur the sonne of Diggorie Penfound Gent of Pen-found in Cornwall. 1656 Thomas Lethbridge (1781) Also added but difficult to read: __ (father of Thomas) who was buried April __ 1761 and also Robert (brother of Thomas) who was buried the same day. Rev John Webber MA (1780) The remainder is difficult to read. George Henry Pinckard (1892) '..Benefactor..' Sarah Harriet Luxton (1896) '...of Winkleigh Parsonage...' Wall tile
Not shown:
Percy Molland (1918) He died Armistice Day (11-11-18) at Fillievres, France. Brass tablet
Hubert James Norman MB ChB (1948) White metal tablet
'Beneath this tablet repose the ashes of..' William Bradford (1820) & Elizabeth Letheren (1820) Also their daughter Susanna (1852)
Henry Bremridge MA (1913)
26 years vicar. White tablet with foliated surround and painted gold cross
Matilda (1847), Henry John (1837), Harrit Wright (1838) '...mother, brother and aunt..' White Gothick tablet.
John (1823) & Jane (1837) Dunning; their son Richard (1865) and his wife Elizabeth (1863) B&W tablet
Richard Dunning (1800), his 'relict' Elizabeth (1811) and their daughters Elizabeth (1787), Mary (1850) & Thomazin (1860) B&W tablet
Jane Westren (1854) and her daughter Mary Jane (1835) age 15 months. B&W Tablet
Revd John Eveleigh MA (1770) vicar, his wife Martha (1781) buried 'near to her own relations and near to a stone similar to this in East Allington Church. Their children: Martha, John, George, Mellony, Thomas & Henry.

 With many thanks to Amanda Miller of Amanda's Arcade and to Jean McCreanor for kindly supplying many of the photographs in this - and other - sections of these Devon pages. Also to Dr Clive Easter - long time member of the Church Monuments Society  whose PhD thesis was on West Country Monuments 1660-1730 - for supplying much information and helpful indentifications and corrections.

Return to previous ('Monuments') page click here  <previous>   page <1> <2> <3>