DORSET

 The mutlti-volume RCHM work is well worth looking at, Dorset being the most completly surveyed county in England.
NB There are often more monuments in the churches below as well as those listed.. I will reorganize and split this section when I have visited  the majority of the churches in black immediately below.
Beaminster Bere Regis  Charminster Church Knowle   Cranborne  Canford Magna    Dorchester  Fifehead Magdelene Frampton  Gillingham Godmanstone Hinton St Mary  Horton Marnhull  Melbury Osmond Melbury Samford  Milton Abbas  Minterene Magna  Morden  Nether Cerne Over Compton  Piddletrenhide  Poole Easton (Portland)  Puddletown  Sherborne Abbey Silton Trent  West Chelborough West Knighton West Stafford  Wimborne Minster Wimborne St Giles  Whitchurch Canonicorum 
Winterborne Came
Beaminster
Not yet visited
Bere Regis - St John Baptist
John Skerne & Family (1593)  Monument and details of kneeling figures and heraldry brasses; also inscription. Erected by his wife Margaret in 1596 Chancel
Monument said to be to the Turberville family (early 16th century) Purbeck. Detail shows brass indents. The small indent between the figures is probably a Trinity Another said to be to theTurberville family early 16th century monument. Purbeck.
There is also a fourth monument similar to the above, also Purbeck.
Above: Robert Williams (1631) Latin inscription
Right: Anna Maria Radclyffe (1854); her husband Charles James (1882); their son Charles James (1913); his wife Blanche (1927) and their son Mjr Eustace (1950)
Cranborne  -  St Mary & St Bartholomew

Above: John (1571) & Margaret Hawles. Purbeck. Latin inscription.

Above & right: John &Elizabeth (Chafin) Hooper c 1600
           
Above left: 'Near this place in the vault of Robert Prower MD are deposited the remains: of Lady Katharine Noel (1779); of Fanny Prower (1789) , wife of Robert above; of Robert Prower MD (1795), as above; of Rev Wm Storey AM (1797); of Harriet Rigby (1816), grand-daughter of Robert Prower; of Fanny Rigby (1827), widow of Rev Henry Rigby and daughter of Robert Prower.
Above centre: Frances Ann Carnegie (1867)
Above right: John Miles (1854) He left a bequest to the benefit of four poor men and four poor women of the parish. Signed Osmond Sarum
Above: Rev Henry Donne B.C.L.  J.P (1830) 44 years vicar of the parish. And his wife Catherine (1820) Signed (twice) Osmond Sarum
Right, beginning top left and then clockwise:
Thomas (1789) & Ann Rebecca Stillingfleet (1803)
Thomas (1815) & Elizabeth (1839?) Stillingfleet
Samuel (1750) & Mary Stillingfleet (1740)
George Stillingfleet (1811 @ 16)
Son of Thomas & Elizabeth


      

Left top: Anne (Moore) Hooper (1637), Katherine Hooper (1637), her husband Thomas Hooper (1638) & others of the same family. Also Katherine (Fleming) Wyndham (1693) sometime wife of Edward Hooper.
Left bottom:
Mariana Brouckner (1833) Signed: Saunders, New Road, Lodon
Above left:
Susannah (Morris) Stillingfleet (1647) Painted slate in stone surround
Above centre:
John Elliot (1641) Alabaster
Above right:
William Miles (1806); son William (1821) and wife Charlotte (1847)
Canford Magna
Not yet visited
Charminster - St Mary
Above left: One of the Trenchard tombs in the Trenchard chapel. The two tombs are very similar: This has a pendant from the canopy and indents for brasses on back wall; the other has panelling on the underside of the canopy. Purbeck marble
Above right & far right: Grace Pole (1636). The colouring was carried out in recent times.
There are several black and white mural tablets'
Church Knowle
St Peter

John Clavell (1572)
and his two wives. The monument is of the Purbeck Marble type, as those above, but is not Purbeck Marble but rather Portland STone. The several brasses of figures and heraldry are shown below.
Below left: heraldic brass of John Clavell
Below centre: kneeling figure of John Clavell
Below right: kneeling figures of children of Myllicent (Gyfford) Clavell
Next row below; left : kneeling figure of Myllicent
Centre left: Her heraldric brass
Centre right: heraldic brass of Susan (Coker) Clavell
Right: kneeling figure of Susan
There are brass inscription plates below the figures of John and Susan but that below Myllicent is missing
Also tablet to Thomas Cockram (1699) pediment above
  Dorchester - St Peter 
St Peter's Church is in the High Street and open during normal hours.  Park in one of the nearby pay car parks in the town.  Website 
   

Two Knight late 14th century These two military effigies are similar but not at all identical and now rest on window ledges in the Hardy Chapel; they are said to have come from a Franciscan Friary or an earlier church.

Altar Tomb (14th century)  in wall recess in chancel. Carved initials 'HW' and a merchant's mark as in roof of north chapel Sir John William (1617) & Wife. The centre is a black shrine on the roof of which armour is placed. The couple kneel on either side, behind a pair of columns which carry an arch with Elizabethan motifs. Blocked by organ! Thomas Hardy of Melcome Regis (1599) Wall monument with pilasters, obelisks and arms Denzil Lord Holles, Baron Ifield (1679/80) A large standing monument on which he reclines, wearing a wig and yet Roman costume, on a sarcophagus. Wingless putti stand in front; these were originally on flanking pedestals which were destroyed when the monument was moved to its present position. . This was erected by his nephew's son and heir, John Duke of Newcastle in 1699.
Denzil Holles (1599-1679/80) was a member of the Short and Long Parliaments for Dorchester. When in 1628 the speaker Speaker attempted to adjourn the House at the command of Charles I,  he held him down in his chair 'till we are pleased to rise'; for this action he was fined and imprisoned. He escaped and lived in banishment for seven or eight years. When Stafford, his brother-in-law, was on trial he attempted unsuccessfully to save him by trying to get the King to abolish episcopacy if parliament would drop the attainder. He opposed the King in parliament and raised a regiment of foot which fought at Edgehill. Thereafter Holles led the peace party and was one of the Commissioners sent by Parliament to propose a peace treaty with the King at Oxford in 1644. When the Army marched on London in 1647 he fled to Normandy but returned the next year when he was one of the Commissioners sent to negotiate the Treaty of Newport with the King, who was now prisoner on the Isle of Wight. Threatened with arrest on his return he again fled to France. Following the restoration he was made a Privy Councillor and a baron. He, however, opposed much of Charles II's policy in parliament.
John Bascombe Lock (1842) Cpt in the 5th Bengal Native Infrantry. Died in the Khybur Pass. George Care (1846), his wife Frances (1814) their sons Thomas (1846) & Charles (Dow 1846) Cpt in Bengal 1st Regiment. John Gordon (1774) '... He died at Dorchester Oct 4th, 1774 age 46. On his return to (?) Jamaica where he had resided many years In Universal Esteem. He was signally instrumental In quelling a dangerous Rebellion in the Island In the Years 1760 A large Body of NEGROES  whom his BRAVERY had repulsed Finally yeilding To their Confidence in his HUMANITY...' Henry Duncombe (1788) Edward Pearce (1817) '... for 50 years a banker in this parish...'
Clara Jane Constance (Conybeare) Pearce Edgcumbe (1888) wife of Edward Robert Pearce Edgcumbe. '...only 23...'
Mary Finch (1882) '...in a vault outside, near this tablet...' John Finch (1883) her husband
Rev Thomas Morton Colson AB (1830) & Mary (1833)
Rector of Linkenholt Hanson. Dark gray marble tablet with arms 
Revd John Morton Colson LLB (1863)
'... 44 years rector of Dorchester St Peter...' '...was buried in a vault in the churchyard...' B&W Tablet
Mary Bond Colson (1849)
'... was buried with her parents beneath the altar' B&W Tablet
Ann Catherine Colson (1874)
2nd daughter of Rev TM & M Colson '... buried with her brother in the churchyard...' B&W Tablet
Elizabeth Dampier (1874)
'... widow of Revd W England, Rector of Winterbourne Came, and the third daughter of the Rev T M & M Colson...buried with her husband at Came...'  B&W tablet
Alfred Gregory (1848)
  B&W Tablet
John Willis (1834)
  B&W Tablet with shield, signed Lester of Dorchester
Henry Tooze (1828), Barrack Master at Dorchester & Susanna (1846) White marble tablet; signed Gregory, Dorch. Also  Mary Honour (1873), wife of their son, Richard Tooze (1874) '...Their remains are deposited in a vault in the churchyard adjoining the southern base of the tower...'
Mary Shergold (1840)
white marble tablet on black surround
'... Erected by the three surviving children of...' William Churchill (1796) , buried at Puddle Hinton with his sister Elizabeth, wife of Nath. Templeton. Their mother Jane Churchill (1801) ...buried in the church with her daughter Sophia (1800).'  White tablet and below on separate tablet: '... In addition...'  Caroline Frances Churchill (1805 age 18) '... one of the above mentioned children....buried in this church by the side of her mother...'
Henry Joseph Moule MA (1904) B&W tablet.
Mary Blandy (1844)
  B&W tablet with arms
George Churchill (1814)
  Captain of the 34th Regt. of Infantry white marble tablet with scroll held by hand at the top with coloured oval background. '...Captain of the 34th Regt. of Infantry...in North America...' 
Joshua Churchill (1786)
tablet
Henry Duncombe (1788)
white marble tablet with wreath, urn and arms
Elizabeth Cozens (1821) White marble tablet with urn against gray marble backing. Signed Gibbs
A wall brass records that the carved alabaster panel of the reredos was presented by Miss Ashley in memory of her uncle the late Earl of Shaftesbury (1899)
Early 18th century tablet with pilasters, urns and cartouche, Illegible inscription and arms.
There are several floor slabs, brasses and indents.
Fifehead Magdelene  -  St Mary Magdelene
Above left: George Davidge (1772), his wife Joan (1759), and children John (17440, Hester (1758) and George (1772)
Above centre: Thomas Newman (1649) & son Richard (1664) RCHM says marble tablet is 17th century and the stone surround probably 18th century.
Far right and below detail of the busts: Sir Richard Newman Bt (1721), his wife Frances (1730) his son Samwell (1747), his daughters Frances (1775) Barbara (1763) & Elizabeth (1774) . Marbles. Above are busts of Thomas, wife and son whike below are the busts of his daughters in oval medallions.
  
Frampton - St Mary
Below: Rear Admiral Sir John Browne (1627) & Joan (Portman). The two effigies remain with fragments of the dismantled monument; the tomb chest itself is modern.
       
Above and right: Ann Browne (1714) Daughter of Robert & Frances Browne  Above and left: John Browne (1750) Note the inscription. Marble
     
Far left: Francis Browne (1740) The monument is dated 1751. 
Left and above: Robert Browne (1772) Varicoloured marbles by John Ford of Bath 
Right: John Browne (1771) Varicoloured marbles also by  John Ford of Bath
 
       
Frances Browne (1806) Daughter of Rev John Richards and wife of Francis John Brown. By Westmacott, London Susanna Browne (1790) Elizabeth Ann Sheridan  Richard Brinsley Sheridan (1902) by E Fuchs 1902 
       
Joan (Browne) Cocker (1653) & baby William The tomb chest and recess are modern. Unknown - exterior monument  Charles Sheridan  Robert Browne (1757) son of Robert and Frances Browne. Marbles
 
Robert Browne (1734) This is the inscription only
  Gillingham - St Mary   
Far left: Sir Henry Dirdoe (1724) and centre bottom: details of the skull at the base of the monument. By John Bastard of Blanford
Centre top and above: Frances Diroe (1733) The figures represent the commemorated and her two sisters, or the Three Graces.
NB: Unlike the Kent town of the same name, this is pronounced with a hard initial G 
   
     
The Rev John Jessop, vicar of Gillingham, (1625) & Dr Thomas Jessop (1615)  One effigy is below a wall arch while the other below a totally free standing arch.There appear to be various fragments behind and on top of the effigy under the wall arch.
         
John Pern vicar (1770) and others of his family. Marble Mary (Goddard) Helyar (1750) Marble  Mary Read (1764) Marble Thomas Godwin and his daughter Sarah (both 1814) Marble by Langley of Hinton Edward Read (1779) and other members of his family.  Marble tablet with slate surround. by Francis Lancashire & Son of Bath
     
Anne Wheildon (1861) Edward Sly (1795) and other members of his family, 1805-37. Marble Left: John Tinney (1728) . Marble
Right:
Edward Davenham (1679) vicar. Slate tablet with painted Latin inscription.
 
Godmanstone
Holy Trinity
Margaret Jane Goodenough (1834) Frances Helen Wainewright (1852) plaster relief Revds. George (1844), Murray (1850) & Mathew ( 1852) Vicars

 
Hinton St Mary
St Peter

Left: Thomas Freke (1655)
Above left: detail of skull of the above
Above centre:
John (1796), William (1792) ans Anne (1810) Castleman
Above right:
Richard Castleman (1771) and others of the same family
Horton -St Wolfreda   
   
   
Top Right: Victoria Uvedale (1680) She died aged 6 years and 9 months. Marble
The medieval effigies are:
Knight Purbeck marble, cross legs, early 14th century, said to be Sir Giles Baose (1305)
 
Lady Stone, early 14th century, said to be Beatrice Boase
Marnhull - St Gregory    

John Carnet (c. 1478) Husband and two wives in alabaster. The stone tomb chest is 19th century work, possible a copy of the original alabster a fragment of which is set in the south side.
 
Above far left: John Pope (1653) & Anna Pope (1676)
Above centre left: Robert Warren (1596) Stone with brass insert by Lynel Brine
Above centre right: Rev Conyers Place (1738) and wife, parents of below.
Above far right: Rev Conyers Place AM (1778) also his wife and daughter
  
Above far left: James Galpin (1829) marble by Clarke of Blanford
Above centre left:
Robert Harvey Place (1840) marble by Reeves of Bath; Conyers Place
Above centre right:
Rev Edward Place (!768) slate and marble
Above far right:
Thomas (1812) & Martha (1797) Burt
Melbury Osmond
St Osmund


Above: This is not a church monument as such but records the rebuilding and refurbishment of the church by the gift of Mrs Susanna Strangeways Horner
Below: John Perkins (1827), his daughter Maria (1828) his son John William Jenkins (1834) and his wife Mary (?)
Above: Sarah Perkins (1834), Susanna Perkins (1863) Mary Perkins (1867)
Below: John Perkins (1811) and His wife Mary (1832)
Above Mathew Jenkins
Below John Perkins 'existence was terminated the twenty fourth of June....' 1791; his sister Susanna (1799)
   Melbury Sampford  
Church in Private Hands

Upper row: Sir Giles Strangeways (1547) Also to his wife Joan (Mordaunt), his wife. Alabaster and Purbeck marble. Possibly a Brouning and only appropriated by the the Strangeways who built the house.
Lower row: William Brouning (1467) Also to  Katherine (Dru) & Alice (Burton) his wives. Erected by Alice in 1647. Tomb chest and canopy of Purbeck marble; effigy of alabaster.  Identical to the above.


Above: Denzil Vesey Fox-Strangeways (1901)
Right:
Thomas (1726) & Susannah Strangeways Marbles. According to Horace Walpole the Latin inscription is by Dr Friend
Right centre:
Strangeways
Far Right:
Caroline Leonora Stephen, Countess of Ilchester (1821) by White marble by Chantrey
Susannah (Strangeways) Horner (1758) White marble on Purbeck backing Grace (Wood) wife of Rev William Samm Stephen, Earl of Ilchester (1776) There are very similar monuments to Thomas Strangeway sen (1713), Susannah (Ridout) (1718) his wife & John Strangeways (1716); and another to his children (1706): Sussanah (1678), Giles (1698), Wadham (1694/5) & Henry (1706) Sir John Strangways (1666)
Above: John Brouning & Eleanor (Fitz-Nycholl) his wife; also William Brouning & Katherine (Dru) his wife c1500
Right: S
ir Gyles Strangeways (1562)
Far Right:
 
Stephen Fox-Strangeways, Lord Stavordale (1848)
Milton Abbas
Milton Abbey

Above: Baroness Hambro
Right:
Baron Hambro (1877) marble effigy and tombchest with stone canopy designed by Scott

Caroline (Sackville) Damer (1775) the 1st wife of Lord Milton, the builder of the house. White matble. Designed by Robert Adam and carved by Agostino Carlini


Above: Mary (Tregonwell) Banks (1703/4), James Banks (1724) & John Banks (1725)
Left: Perbeck marble monument appropriated by Sir John Tegonwell (1565), who had bought the estate and buildings at the dissolution of the abbey when the abbey church became the parish church.

Minterne Magna - St Andrew

 
Ellen Churchill (1673 at 21) Daughter of Winston Churchill
Ledgerstone
John Churchill (1659)
Ledgerstone
Lady Blanch Napier (1659)
Mother of 13 children
General the Hon Charles Churchill (1714) 4th son of Sir Winston Churchill. Attrib Robert Taylor Snr
    Morden - St Mary     
   
The re-erected Earle monuments, either side of the tower arch., dated 1597. Thomas Earle kneels in an attitude of homage on the norrth side while on the south side are three members of his family. The monument was originally in the former chancel; the plinths are 19th century.
  Nether Cerne
All Saints
 
 
 
Henry Shepping (1810) & his wife Elizabeth (1766)
 

Over Compton

Not yet visited

 Piddletrenthide

Not yet visited

 Poole

Not yet visited

Easton (Portland)  St George



Headstones with military insignia, L to R: Unknown
    
Archibald Orrestes (1905)
Richard Lano Pearce (1864)
Abraham Flann (1902) & Elizabeth M Charles (1943)

Interesting tablet of 1978 recording an event in 1803 Various Tablets in chancel Above: John Manning (1826) (rector) signed I Hellyer
Below Thomas Gilbert (1776) Architect and master builder of the church
Tablets
Baron Gustavus Nolcken (1831) Eldest son of the Swedish Ambassador Sidney Ayles MVO MBE (1981) Crown agent and bailiff of the Island and Royal Manor of Portland
Mural Brasses
Benjamin E Stone AB HMS Turquoise Dow 1887 aged 19 Captain John Hope Bowles (1783) Commander of HM Sloop Orestes Coffin plate?

Puddletown - St Mary the Virgin
Church open normal hours; park in the street nearby.  Website
 
Knight & Lady, he cross legged, c. 1300 Very poor condition. Knight in ogee arched recess, later 14th century; shield. The front of the tomb chest has carvings of the Crucifixion flanked by the Virgin Mary, Mary Magdalene, St Peter and St Paul in niches. Poor  
Knight & Lady on tomb chest with angels with shields, alabaster, 1460-70. This tomb appears to have been originally free standing but is now in a corner and the panels from the hidden sides of the chest are now set against the back wall above the effigies. His feet rest on ape. Some colour remains. Mutilated Knight, alabaster of about 1470 with shield on earlier Purbeck marble tomb chest with canopy  Said to be Sir William Martyn although he died in 1503. Good
James Lukyn (1671) tablet with Corinthian side columns and painted arms Top: Mrs Charlotte Susanna Cunningham (1804) marble
Bottom: Henry Hooton AM (1721) Latin inscription; arms of Hooton impaling Arnold of Islington
Illegible possibly:
Sir John Brun (1639), Charles Brun (1637) and Charles Brun (1645)
Hon Henry Dawnay DD (1754) Vicar of Puddletown, Prebendary of Canterbury. marble Illegible  Robert Abner (1807) ? & Margaret  Lt James Edmund (1863) '... accidentally drowned whilst bathing...' 
Not Shown
John George Brymer (1921) 36 years rector of Childe, Oxon. '...whose mortal part rests in this churchyard.'
Arthur Leonard Helps MA (1956) Canon of Salisbury, vicar of this parish
Kathleen Helps (1956) Very similar to the above: tablet with arms
Wilfred John Brymer JP (1957) his sister Constance Mary (1963)
Anna Eleonora Neyle
Also Maria Phillippa & Nicholas Vincent '... children of the above who died in infancy...' No dates. B&W tablet
Roger Cheverell (1517) brass
Christopher Martyn (1524) brass with kneeling figure
Nicholas Martyn (1524) kneeling figures on four brass plates fixed to back of stone monument with Ionic columns
William Brandish (1638) stone panel with arms.
Mary Hayman (1696) floor slab in chancel
Floor Slab defaced 17th century in nave
John Brune (17th century)
Floor slab in nave
George Edwards (1743) headstone 
Martha (1735) & Robert Purchase (1745) headstone with emblems of mortality
James Boswell (1820) tablet
    Sherborne Abbey   
Church open during normal hours and very welcoming. Park in one of the pay car parks. The church and town are well worth a long detour.
 Website 
Abbot Clement ( 1150) Purbeck marble; top part of slab only remains. Latin inscriptions identifies him. An Abbot (13th century) Purbeck marble Also below Priest (13th century) Purbeck marble Also below
Although two of King Ethelred's brothers, Ethelbald & Ethelbert - who also became kings - are buried at Sherborne, they have no monuments other than this modern brass inscription.  See also Wimborne Minster below.
Left: John Digby, 1st Earl of Bristol (1698) & his two wives, Alice (1658) and Rachel (1708/9) Very big marble standing monument. Corinthian columns, urns, arms, putti. Effigies of John Digby and his two wives; he holds his coronet; his wives hold burning hearts.  signed by Nost
Above & Right:
John Leweston (1584)  & Joan (1579)  By Allen Maynard .
Not shown but in this chapel:
John Lewesten (1584) The last of his line of Leweston Manor. 'There is no trace of the tablet originally in this frame, or the wording thereon. The place was placed here in 1921 by George Hamilton Fletcher of Leweston Manor.' Tablet in frame.
George Hamilton Fletcher  as above. Similar. No date
   
Robert (1726) & Mary (1729), 2nd son and eldest daughter of  John Digby above. Marble tablet with epitaph by Pope Left & above:
Sir John Horsley (1546) & son (1564)
. Sir John bought the Abbey at the Dissolution. White stone, two recumbent effigies on tomb chest with shields; canopy.  Coat of arms in lozenge against back wall The rather exotic armour is based on that worn in about 1470. The monuments was originally in the north transept.
  Laurence Rowe-Fisher-Rowe (1915) 'The Old Friend' Lt Col the Grenadier Guards. Dow Battle of Neve, France.
A Similar monument is to: Gareth Hamilton Fletcher (1915) Kia 'in the front trenches at Cuinchy, La Bassée, France'
 
Above: Johan Walcot (1630) English inscription
Right: John Eatmont (1722/3) Latin inscription
    Not shown:
Sarah, daughter of Charles King (1710) Floor slab, ambulatory
Emorbus Johnson (1614/15) Floor slab, St Sepulchre chapel
George Brown (1709) & wife Izor (1711); Dorcas (1679), wife of James Brown & their daughters, Dorcas (1689/90) & Unity (1701); George Brown (1692) Floor slab, ambulatory
Eliza, wife of James Pidle (1710); Simon Aish & others Floor slab, ambulatory
The following monuments have all be reset in Bishop Roger's Chapel. This may be locked: ask a member of staff to show you.
Above: Carew Hervy Mildmay (1784) & first wife Dorothy (1743). A very large wall monument with draperies, lion, obelisk and urn. Portrait medallions of commemorated and his wife. By Thomas Carter of Picadilly
Left:
John Cooke (1766) & Penelope (1767) Marble 'Near this place he interred the remains of...'
The upper tablet to the right of the above is to James Fellowes (1799) & Jane (1828) surgeon. '...whose remains are deposited in the vault of St Mary's Church, Lambeth'
Below this: John Beale (1831) & Sarah (1820) '...in a vault near this tablet'
Too high to read but may include those listed below Curiosity Jeremiah Cuffe (1673) & Jerimiah, his father (1684/5) Slate tablet
Walter Cowth (1675) Stone tablet with two panels
Dr John Bartlett (1703) Slate wall tablet, incised with cartouche
John Derbie (1713) & Mary (1717) Alabaster wall monument with tassels, lamps and cartouche.
Mary (1741) , wife of Rev John King. Marble & stone wall monument with Doric columns & urn.
Jeph. John of Lincoln's Inn (1742) Marble wall monument with scrolls and urn.
James Blackmore (1746) & Anne (1745) Marble wall monument with broken pediment and urn.
John Wickham (1751) & Esther (1745/6), his first wife & Gertrude 1789), His second. Marble wall monument with urns and black cartouche in rococo frame.
George Buchanan (1826) Wall monument with shield with arms.
Samuel Whitty (1833) & others. Wall tablet by T Tyler of Bristol
Pemberton Methuen (1835) Tablet by G Crawford
Alfred & John Walter Butterworth (1835) As above

 Silton - St Nicholas   


 


   
Sir Hugh Wyndham (1684) wearing judges' robes. By John Nost (1692) The figures at his feet represent his first two wives. Originally in the chancel. 
     
Albinus Martin (1790); his wife Mary (1824) & sons Albinus (1788), and Harry Martin (Clerk)(1832); his 1st wife Elizabeth (1806), and 2nd wife also Elizabeth (1823). Selina (1837) wife of Rev. Harry, son of Harry (Clerk) & his 2nd wife Elizabeth Dorothy (Morin) Kingeswell (1638)  Samuel Davies (1833) Marble tablet in stone surround by Chapman of Frome

Trent - St Andrew

Park in village outside the church. Locked status not recorded. Website

Civilian (14th century) stone, wears hooded gown and carries sword; feet on dog.
In this chapel there is also Knight (c. 1380) Stone, head on helm with crest of bird; feet also on dog;  I was unable to gain access to photograph this effigy.
Priest (14th century) defaced; in porch
 

Tristrum Storke (1530) & Alies. Painted stone panel with arms.

Thomas Hussey (1630/31) Stone wall monument with Corinthian columns.

Ann Gerard ( née Coker) (1633) Two side columns supporting an entablature with arms, supported by angels. Soffit of arch above painted with genealogical tree with shields of arms (forty of these) of Gerard and Coker and alliances.

Sir Francis Wyndham (1735/36) White marble tablet with Corinthian columns, arms, cherubs' head etc  
 
Mary Turner (1866)

Revd William Henry Turner (1874) Recumbent effigy
with hand crossed over a Bible. By W Theed (1853)

Illegible George Beaver (1801)
Lucretia Putt (1813)

Lord Geoffrey Fisher of Lambert, Archbishop of Canterbury (1972) & his wife Rosamund (1986) . Simple wall tablets. Lord Fisher retired to Trent and he and his wife are buried in the church yard.

Not Illustrated

William Gerard (1604)  Alabaster and slate tablet with pilasters and coat of arms
Sir Francis Wyndham, Bart. (1676) & A.W. (1698)
White stone slabElizabeth Martyn (1693) Marble panelRobert (1820) & Charlotte Down (1843): their son, Robert (1842) & Eizabeth Hart (1878); their son, William Head (1899) & Elizabeth (1825) Gray & white tabet
Henry Danby Seymour (1877)
brass with enamel plaque. Signed by Barlow
Rev Thomas Back--m (18__) wall brass
Charles Douglas Fisher (1978)
Headmaster in Australia Tablet

West Chelborough - St Andrew
 
A lady of the Kymer family, early 17th century; she is presented lying in bed under a blanket with a small child.
 
  West Knighton 
St Peter
 
Right: Anne Floyer (1746), Mary Richards (1758), John Floyer (1789), Jane Floyer (1808), Mrs Mary Richards (1804)
Below left: Caherine Waddle (180_)
Below right: 
John Adair Hawkins (1842)  & Jane (WIlliams)(1863) his wife. Marbles
   
 
West Stafford - St Andrew
Canon Smith
Above left: Blanche Exerton (no dates)
Above right:
Richard Russell (1638) & Richard Russell (1660) & Richard Russell (1667) Rectors and Patrons. Marble and slate.
Right near:
John Gould (1729) Marble
Far right:
William England DD Archdeacon of Dorset (1835) & Margaret, his widow (1837) Signed Lester, Dorchester.
Wimborne Minster
Park in one of the town's pay car parks. Open for visitors Monday - Friday 9.30am - 5.30pm; Sunday 2.30pm - 5.30pm.  Website
A particularly delightful and friendly church, which celebrated its 1300 years in 2005, with much of interest: not only the monuments, which include the only brass to an English King (actually King of Wessex), but also an astronomical clock and a chained library. The church and the town itself are well worth a long detour.

A Fitzpiers (late 13th century) knight Mutilated. Arms on damaged shield and nearby wall suggests attribution; the Fitzpiers were once lords of the manor of Hinton Martell. On 17th century table tomb.

'Underneath lie the remains of John de Berwick Dean of this church 1312'

Dean John de Berwick (1312) Slab with 19th century brass plate, once part of table tomb around which parishioners used to meet annually to enquire into the affairs of the parish.

Anthony Etricke (1703) - "The Man in the Wall".Black slate coped sarcophagus with painted shields; on it the date 1703, which has been clearly altered from 1693, the date he (incorrectly) foretold his death. He was recorder of Poole and the Duke of Monmouth was brought before him after the Battle of Sedgemoor. An eccentric man, he was offended by the people of Wimborne so declared he would be buried neither in their church, nor without it, neither in their ground, nor above it. Afterwards, desiring to be buried with his ancestors but not willing to break his vow, he obtained permission to be buried in the wall where his coffin was placed in his lifetime.

John Beaufort, Duke of Somerset (1444) &Margaret. Hand holding alabaster effigies on Purbeck tomb chest. He was the grandson of John of Gaunt and brother of Edmund,  the 2nd Duke who was killed at the First Battle of St Albans in 1455. He was  father of Lady Margaret Beaufort, the mother of King Henry VII. Fought in France during the latter part of the Hundred Years War to varying effect  but was not made Regent because of the rise of the Duke of York during the early part of the Wars of the Roses.  The steel plate engraving of the tomb  is from Edward Blore's book.

From left to right: GertrudeCourtenay, Marchioness of Exeter (1557) Purbeck marble tomb chest; edge retains part of black letter brass inscription. Brass shields lost from sides of the tomb chest. She and her husband were found guilty of treason under Henry VIII, her husband being executed. She was imprisoned in the Tower but later pardoned.
Thomas Hanham (1650) of Middle Temple. Painted alabaster; two kneeling figures facing each other across a prayer desk. Arms and inscription.  Nearby is a tablet with the name "Snodgrass" and together with the name "Wardell" in the baptistry is said to have been seen by Charles Dickens and used by him in Pickwick Papers   
Broken slab with cross in relief: no details
King (Saint) Ethelred (871)  Brass demi-figure made around 1440. He was king of Wessex and King Alfred's elder brother and died of wounds fighting the Danes at Merton, near Cranborne. The inscription, added 250 years later, gives the date of death as 873 on St George's Day. The brass is set in a Purbeck slab which may have covered the original grave.  It was cut to size in 1857 and is now set in the chancel wall, although it was set in the chancel floor certainly as late as 1966.

Above & Right Top: Sir Edmund Uverdale (1606) Alabaster

Above Bottom: Joseph Collett (1621) & unamed Wife. 'who conveyed to trustees certain lands in the parish of Corfe Castle, the proceeds of which were to be applied to the relief of five poor men and five poor women of this parish in equal shares'. The tomb was rebuilt by the trustees in 1825

Elenor Dickenson (1571) damaged brass; wall mounted

William Warham (1612)  and family: Anthony & Honor. Anna (1741), wife of Anthony (erected by Anthony 1746) stone and marble. Bartholemew Lane (1679) Slate with stone surround. Erected by William Fitch in 1705 during his lifetime for his parents, buried in the vault below. His wife Ann, himself and immediate offspring. No other names or dates given Harry Constantine (1712), Mary (1704); their son Rev Harry (1748), his wife Wiliams.  Marble tablet with Baroque surround

William Ettricke (1716) large white marble tablet with arms.

John Rolles (1779) & Mary (1780) Their daughter Mary (1748 age 20). John Fryer (1810) & Ann (1812), daughter of the above. Their children: John & Thomas (died in infancy), Henry (1819) & Jane (1827)

George Ellis Beethell (1742) tablet with arms

Thomas Fox (1830), Iana (= Jane?) Son Nathaniel Rector of Poyntington

Illegible

Nicholas Russel (1763). 'Forty five Years Receiver of the Revenues of this Collegiate CHURCH...' Also his son Richard (1772) Mary Russell (1773) widow of William, one of the ministers of this church Elizabeth Loader (1777) her husband John (1802) Their daughter Elizabeth White (1825)

Top: Edward Butt (1781) & 3 sisters:
Abigail, Elizabeth & Mary
Lower: Margaret (1803)- his widow -
and their son Rev Edward Butt (1842), Vicar of Tollertratham

Issac Gulliver (1798) & Edward Wagg (1799), his son-in-law

John Moore (17__) Anne Mary Caroline Linthorpe (1885) & her sister Caroline (1888)
possibly the slab, now fractured and wall mounted, covering the Gulliver vault. Margaret Ford (1819) wife of John MD FLS Mrs Elizabeth Reek (1802) W. E(tricke) (1663)
slate ledger stone
   
'...mortally wounded charging a body of rebels mear Lucknow...1858...' William George Hawtrey Bankes VC (1858) Cornet, 7th Hussars, gained his VC in the Indian Mutiny.

 

'This brass plate was inserted to the memory of his ancesters interred within this vault by Edmund George Bankes of Kingston Lacy. Nov 1856. The vault from henceforth being forever closed' Charles Waldo Lionel Churchill (DOW 1902) 2nd Lt, died at Bushbult, South Africa. Only son.

Edmund Barnes (1926) was chorister from 1850-1858 and bequeathed a legacy in favour of the Wimborne Minster Choir and Organ Fund, which maintains the organ and provides for the choir school. He was first mayor of London Borough of St Pancras 1900-1902

   
Not Illustrated

Dean Thomas Brembre (1361) slab, not in situ

'Willm Smith '(1587) 'Vicker of Sturminster'. Wall brass, text only. The wording suggests her was incumbent after his death!
Wife of Anthony Wayte (1619) floor slab, part inscription
Elizabeth Pope (1663) small stone panel
Robert Russel (1718) slate floor slab,arms
John Moyle (1719) tablet. This is the best of a series of late 17th and early 18th century tablets
Thomas Cox (1730) tablet
George Bethel (1782) tablet
John Bayles Wardell (1810) age 8. Tab with simple sarchopagus
George Leckie (1812) B&W Tab
Percival Hart Dyke MA (1919) Canon of Salisbury; Rector of Compton Abbas. B&W Tablet similar to the above
Rev Charles Bowle (1841) 'for forty years one of the ministers of this parish'. Gothick tablat
Anthony Sarjeant (1829), Mary (1803), their children Jane (1811), Sophia (1822), James (1824), Mary Sutton (1840) Large B&W Tablet
Charles Onslow (1884) 'Presbyter of this Minster' Wall brass, text only.
Francis John Huyshe (1905) Vicar for 24 years.  B&W Tablet
Wimborne St Giles
St Giles


The church was damaged by a fire in 1908 and this effigy is a copy of the early 14th century effigy which was here before the fire.

Above: Fourth Earl of Shafesbury (1771) Designed by James Stuart and made by Thomas Scheemakers Marble

Right:
First Earl of Shafesbury (1683) Made later in 1732; bust byJ. M. Rysbrack Marble

Fifth Earl of Shafesbury (1811) By Rudolf Schadow 1819

Third Earl of Shafesbury (1712) The philosopher. Granite


Above & right: Sir Anthony Ashley (1628) & Jane (Okeover) A daughter (Anne) kneels on the floor in front of the monument. Clunch and alabaster.





Cropley Earl of shafesbury (1831)

Anthony Victor George Allsopp Midshipman RN (1914 aged 15) He served in HMS Hogue which with two other ships were torpedoed and sunk by a German submarine
   
     
A series of 19th century wall monuments: Anthony Maurice William Ashley (1855), buried at Lausanne; Caroline Mary Neeld (1869) & Harriet Anne Corry (1868) sisters; Constance Emily ... (1872); Mary Charlotte Ashley Cooper (1861).

Whitchurch Canonicorum
St Candida

Shrine of St Wite A complete but plain stone shrine - very rare. The three "portholes" in the front of medieval shrines are said to have been based on the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem where the actual rock slab on which Jesus's body lay was clad in marble to either protect the rock or hide the damage that had been done to it; the three holes allowed pilgrims to see and touch the rock. shown (shown)
Thomas de Lude (1300) part of brass of a foliated cross
John Wadham (1584) Tablet of two panels, against the top of the left panel, a brass inscription
Sir John Jeffrey (1611) Standing monument with recumbent effigy with much intricate strapwork on the chest and on the back wall
Admiral Sir George Summer (1611) Brass of 1903 paid for by public subscription. He sailed with Raleigh

Winterborne Came

St Peter

Dorothy Meller (1591)


          
John  & Anne Meller (1611)

Above Lionel Arthur Henry Seymour Dawson-Damer, 6th Earl of Portarington (1959) & Air Comm. George Lionel Yuill Seymour Dawson-Damar, Vicount Carlow  (kia 1914) son of the above.
Right (church yard)  Lady Mary Seymour
Other Tablets
Caroline, Countess of  Portarlington (1813)  Gothick tablet by J Browne (London)
Hon Lionel Damer & Williamsea (1825) his widow. Gothick tablet, identical to that above. By J Browne (London) 1839
Louisa Frances Dawson Damer (1847) & others. Architectural tablet by Lester, Dorchester
Rev  William England (1846)
and his wife Elizabeth (Dampier) (1847) Gothick tablet by Osmond, Sarum
Harriet Voss Simple black and white tablet
 

With thanks to Sally Badham, founder-member of the Society, for the photographs at Horton and the church authorities for the photographs at Whitchurch Canonicorum.  Also thanks to Ms Penelope Barge for the photographs from Minterne Magna. Also to Amanda Miller of Amanda's Arcade for all of the other photographs.

Top of Page

Return to previous ('Monuments') page click here