LINCOLNSHIRE

<next, Lincoln> Pages <2> <3>
Ashby-cum-Fenby Ashby de la Launde  Aubourn Bardney Belton Boston Branston Brocklesby Burton Pedwardine Burton-by-Lincoln  Buslingthorpe Careby Caistor Coats Dalby Denton Dunholme  Edenham Ewerby Gautby Glentworth Gosberton Grantham Gunby Hainton Harmston Haxey Heydour Honington Horbling Hougham Houghton-on-the-Hill
 Howell
Ashby-cum-Fenby
 St Peter
Knight (early 14th century) with cross legs.
Suzanne Drury (ob 1606). Standing wall monument of the 17th century but the semi-reclining effigy said to be a replacement of c. 1700:
Sir William & Lady Frances Wray  Ten poster bed monument of c 1640 with two reclining effigies, children lean against base . This Sir William's father was Sir Christopher Wray of Glentworth. (shown)
Ashby de la Launde
St Hibald
Edward King (1617)  He kneels between his two wives, Mary and Elizabeth. Above is a separate monument to his three kneeling daughters and a baby in a crib: Mary, Anne, Elizabeth & Amy. He also had two sons, Richard and John
Aubourn - Old Church
Sir Anthony Meres (1587) original setting destroyed 'To the memory of Elizabeth Nevile daughter of George Sharpe Esq of Barnby in Nottinghamshire and wife of Christopher Nevile Esq of Wellingore in Lincolnshire. She died the 4 th day of November in the year of Our Lord 1745 age 30 years'
Bardney - St Lawrence

Above: 'John and Alice...1446' Tombstone found st Bardney Abbey
Right: Abbot Richard Horncastle (1508) Note the shrouded sould being lifted to heaven in a napkin above this head
Two of the sixty five monuments were excavated from the Abbey

Above and right: Two benefaction boards.
Belton - St Peter & St Paul
(near Grantham)
Tower South Wall
Sir Richard Brownlow (1668)  In the style of  William Stanton. Large architectural tablet with achievement in an open scrolly pediment at the top. Lady Cust  (1772) by William Tyler.
William Brownlow (1726) by Edward Stanton & Christopher Horsnaile. Architectural tablet with two columns and standing putti outside them.
Alice, Lady Brownlow, widow of Young Sir John (ob. 1721) by Edward Stanton & Christopher Horsnaile. Tablet with fluted pilasters, an oval inscription plate, and three fine putto heads at the top
Outside - North of Tower
Adelbert Cust, 5th Baron Brownlow (1927) by Sir Edwin Lutyens. A plain classical tomb-chest, cruciform.
Chancel - South   Chancel - North
Left: Sir John Cust, 3rd Bt of Stamford, Speaker of the House of Commons (1770) by William Tyler. Standing monument of white, black and brown marble. Seated figure holding a key; to her right a medallion, and on it, in relief, the Speaker's chair. At her feet an open book; in it recorded in the Journal of the House of Commons the year 1768 when Sir John was re-elected Speaker.
Etheldred Anne Cust (1788 aged 17) by John Bacon, 1793. Tablet with a charming roundel of a young girl with a lamb.
Katherine Cust (1827) Small tablet with of flowers around the frame.
Hon. Rev. Richard Cust (1864) by W. Theed. Big white tablet with Christ and kneeling shepherd.
Left: Sir Brownlow Cust, 4th Bt of Stamford, 1st Baron Brownlow (1807) by Sir Richard Westmacott. Standing monuments of white marble. Semicircular plinth, and on it a kneeling maiden by a broken column. The capital lies by her on the ground. Reredos background. He was elevated to the peerage in recognition of his father's service as Speaker.
 

Right: Sir John Brownlow, 5th Bt of Humby, Viscount Tyrconnel and Baron Charleville
(1754)
by Sir Henry Cheere. Standing monument of white and pink marble. Seated figure of Hope (note the anchor) holding a portrait medallion. Richly decorated reredos background
North Chapel
"Old" Sir John, 1st Bt of Belton (1679) and Dame Alicia Brownlow (1679) by William Stanton 1679. Standing monument. Black and white. Against the reredos background, two frontal demi-figures holding hands. Columns and an open segmental pediment. Inscription on a draped cloth. Stanton received £166 17s 0d for this monument. There is a photograph of the monuments in Brian Kemp's Church Monuments (Shire 1997) p. 19.
Richard Brownlow (1638) by Joshua Marshall but as Marshall was only in his teens in 1638, it must date from the 1650's or 60's. Alabaster. Frontal demi-figure in an arched niche. Complex surround. Richard Brownlow was a prominent Elizabethan lawyer who founded the Brownlow fortunes and built the uper stages of the church tower. Marshall carved the plinth of the equestrian statue of Charles I in Whitehall and, as master mason, was responsible for the Monument and for City churches after the Fire of London. 
Mortuary Chapel
John Cust, 1st Earl Brownlow (1853) by Marochetti. Tomb chest with white recumbent effigy. Marochetti was also responsible for the equestrian bronze of Richard the Lionhear outside the Palace of Westminster and the effigies of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert in the Frogmore Mausoleum at Windsor.

Right: Sophia Hume, Countess Brownlow (1814) was the first wife of the 1st Earl. The monument for which the chapel was built. By Antonio Canova. Standing monument of an upright Grecian woman, one hand raised, the other on a portrait medallion.  This stands on a short Greek Doric column (not quite it has a base). But the plinth has a band of knobbly Perp foliage. This latter may be by Westmacott, Canova's pupil.

Left: John Hume, Viscount Alford (1851) designed by Sir G. G. Scott. Fine Gothick tomb.Tomb-recess in the west wall. Tomb-chest richly inlaid with a pattern of coloured marble and with a brass cross on the cover slab. Pillars, surmounted by lions holding shields, flank an elaborated canopy. (shown)

Caroline, Countess Brownlow (1824) Standing white monument with a seated lady. Pilgrim's staff and pilgrim's hat on the ground. Putti in the sky.
Adelaide, Countess Brownlow (1917)   by Lady Feodora Gleichen. Tablet with white profile against dark blue mosaic. Surround of green marbles.
North Aisle
"Young" Sir John Brownlow, 3rd Bt of Humby  (1697) Architectural. Standing monument with two columns and a segmental pediment. By W. Stanton (Mrs Esdale). This Sir John "built" Belton House; the actual master mason was Stanton himself.
Henry "Harry" John Cockayne Cust, (1917) by his wife, Emmeline "Nina" Crust, who also carved a bust of her husband which is in Belton House. Recumbent effigy on slab supported by disagreeable stumpy red marble pillasters with equally disagreeable beige marble capitals. He was a poet and editor or the Pall Mall Gazette and would have succedded to the Brownlow title but predeceased his cousin, the 3rd Earl.
The beautifully simple wall mounted stone (shown) to Brig. Richard Brownlow Purey-Cust (ob 1958) and his wife Patricia (ob 1993) contrasts with the above proud monuments of an earlier age.
top of page
Boston - St Botolph

Knight (c 1500) alabaster on tomb chest

Lady (c 1400) alabaster

Richard Fydell (1780) big tablet of coloured marbles with profile in oval medallion. By James Wallis of Newark

Job Philips tablet

the identification of these was never given but they obviously correspond with the text below. Any help please? 

Wisselus de Smalenburgh (1312) of Münster, a Hanseatic merchant,
incised slab. From Grayfriar's church.
Priest (c. 1400) brass
Brass (c 1500) part of, chancel floor
Mrs Elizabeth Fydell (1783) tablet by James Wallis of Newark
Elizabeth Fydell (1816) tablet with draped urn. By John Bacon Jnr
James Hollway (1828)
Rev John Cotton (1857) brass
Richard Rolle brass
Walter Pescod (ob 1398) & Wife brass
Civilian & 2 Wives (1400) brass, poor
John Boult (1700) cartouch
John Wood (1702) cartouch
Thomas Fydell (1812) sarcopagus with inscription. By Craik of London
Thomas & Elizabeth Fydell (1812) by Craik (see above)
John Connington (1873) by Scott Tablet with resurection
Herbert Ingram (1860) bust

Branston
All Saints
Sir Cecil Wray Bart (1736) and his wife Mary (1745) The monument was erected in his lifetime and is signed Thomas Carter the Elder but the busts may be by Roubiliac
Brocklesby - All Saints
16th century standing alabaster with effigies of Sir William Pelham (1587) and wife with sons and daughters, kneeling and facing each other;
17th century: Sir William Pelham (1629): two recumbent effigies with rows of children kneeling on the tomb chest by William Wright of Charing Cross.
Charles Pelham, Lord Worsley (1914) in the 17th century style (shown left) by Charles Jagger.
Marcia, Countess of Yarbourough, (1928) by Sir W Reid Dick, designed by Sir Reginald Blomfield; white marble standing figure with two children; neo-Flaxman style.
Charles, 4th Earl of Yarbourough (1936) large wall tablet with portrait and arms.
       
Brocklesby Mausoleum
(in private hands)


By Wyatt and completed by 1792. Figure of Sophia Aufrere (1786) carved by
Nollekens in c. 1791, the raison d'être for the building.
(shown right)

In three recesses are monuments of the Pelham family made in Italy in the late 1760's
 







     
Burton-by-Lincoln
St Vincent
Christopher Randes (1639) and his wife Katherine (Moundeford)
 
Burton Pedwardine - St Andrew

Above: Lead coffin with effigy of Alice Pedwardine (1330) 'Dame Alice de Pettewaedjm gist ici [file de] longchamp'
Right:
Thomas & Mary Horsman 'Here lyeth interred the bodie of Thomas Horsman Esquire who was Lord of this town, he tooke to wife Mary the daughter of John Tredwaye of Easton in the County of Northamptonshire. He departed this life the 2 of Aprill in the yeare of our Lord 1631 whose wife in her pious memorie erected this memorial.'
Above & right: Sir Thomas Horsman (1610) Alabaster. He was brought up in the household of Lord Burghley who launched his career  at court.
Buslingthorpe - St Mary
(redundant churches fund)
Priest incised slab Sir John Buslingthorpe (1340/4) Sir Richard Boselyngthorpe (early 14th century) demi-brass in a coffin lid with Lombarding inscription
Caistor - St Peter & St Paul  
Above & right: Knight early 14th century said to be Sir William de Hundon said to have fought under Edward I in the continuation of Saint Louis' 2nd Crusade (or Seventh Crusade)
Far right:
Lady, perhaps the wife of the above (c 1280)
Above & left: Sir John de Hundon (c1343) All the straps to the various armour parts are decorated with roses
Right:
Sir Edward Maddison (1553) Durham merchant. Knighted at the coroation of Anne Boleyn, MP for Hull; he played a prominent part in the rising against Henry VIII for his attacks on the church but lived to be 100
Careby - St Stephen
Two unusual medieval monuments:
13th century heart burial, shield with two hands holding heart,
A mid 14th century knight/lady; busts only, their bodies dissapear into solid slab with shield.  
Also:

Knight with crossed legs.
 
Coates - St Edith
Brian Cooke of Doncaster (1653)
       
Dalby
St Lawrence & Bishop Edward King

Julyan Llandon (1631) Alabaster William Llandon (1621) & Alice. Alabaster

 Denton - St Andrew
Dunholme - St Chad  Edenham - St Michael

14th century sunken effigy of a priest.
John Blyth (1602): recumbent effigy on half rolled up mattress; children with their names against the tomb chest.
Richard Welby: 1714 statue by Green of Camberwell,
on base surrounded by four putti. (shown)
Several 18th century tablets including one to Suzanna Gregory with bats' wings,skull, snake & hourglass by Thomas Taylor and one to John Welby (1736) attributed to
Rysbrack
Good 18th century slate headstones in church yard.

'Robert Gruntham [Grantham] of the Blacke Mouckes neare the citie of Lincolne Esquire sone of Hughe Grauntham [Grantham] esquire was borne at this Dunham [Dunholme] the 17 day of August AD 1541 caused this moniment to be erected to the memori of this family humbly comended his soule to God and his bodie to be buried here & died the...' He died in 1618.
Civilian/Lady of c1300.
Another lady of same date.
Later 14th century knight/lady on tomb chest with shields displaying the Simeon and Neville arms.

The church houses a series of monuments to Berties, Lords Willoughby of Eresby and later Dukes of Ancaster, namely:-

Robert Bertie, 1st Earl of Linsey (1642) & his son (1666), black & white marble.
Richard Bertie (1686) possibly by James Hardy.
1st Duke of Ancaster (1723); standing white figure against black reredos; by Henry Scheemakers & Henry Cheere.
Robert Willoughby & others, 1738; black & white; big sarcophagus with urn & seven busts; attributed to PeterScheemakers
2nd Duke of Ancaster (1741), standing figure leaning on urn; below which a medallion with profile of his wife; by Henry Cheere.
Third & Fourth Dukes (1778 & 1779), two standing figures with medallion of wife of one; against convex back panel a medallion of child; by Charles Harris.
Hon Frederick Burrell (1819) as a baby carried by angels.
1st Lord Gwydyr (1820), bust on round pedastal; by Nollekens.
Clementine, Baroness Willoughby (1881), neo-baroque.
Tablet to Rev John Bland (1761) by Bingham.
George Parker (1831), neo-gothic; by Smith of Stamford.

There are more High Victorian monuments to the Berties family in the church yard.

Also in the church are the Heathcote memorials, removed here from Normaton church, Rutland and all of the 19th century

Ewerby - St Andrew 
 
Sir Alexander Aunsell (1360) Possibly founder of the church 

Murray Edward Gordon Finch-Hatton (1898) MP 10th Earl of Winchelsea and 5th Earl of Nottingham. He personally undertook bricklaying, glazing and digging of dykes in which 'he was not surpassed by any workman in the county'. He spend the summer of 1895 repairing the church roof
 
Gautby - All Saints

Thomas Vyner (1665/6) This monument and that to his father on right are attributed to Jasper Latham

Sir Thomas Vyner, 1st Baronet monument erected  by son. Both were in St Mary's, Woolnorth, London, where they were buried, but moved here when that church was demolished.
Glentworth - St Michael

 Sir Christopher Wray (1592) and Wife; coffered arch with a kneeling effigy of their son at the top; four kneeling daughters on the tomb chest. Alabaster, 1593, perhaps by Nicholas Johnson of Southwark.


Elizabeth Saunderson (1714), white marble with cherubs' head and putti; by Edward Hurst. (shown)
  Gosberton
St Peter & St Paul
Knight, early 14th century

top of page
Grantham - St Wulfram

The "Harrington Tomb", a recess of 1360-80.
Richard Saltby 1369 - similar to above.
Mrs Middlemore (1710); tablet attributed to circle of William Stanton.
William Middlemore (1712); tablet by Benjamin Palmer.
Lord Chief Justice Sir Dudly Rider (1756) by Henry Cheere (1759); a seated figure with black obelisk behind. A very fine monument.
Sir William Bury (1706); a black columned aedicule by Edward Stanton.
Sir Thomas Bury (1722) attributed to Christopher Horsnaile.
William Cust (1747); standing monuments with a bust before an obelisk with a military still life at foot. By Cheere.
Randolph Clarke (1751) by Christopher Staveley.
Revd Mr Stevens (1751) by Christopher Staveley.
Edward Turner (1769); standing monument by Bingham.
Samuel Foster (1776); tablet by James Hickey.
William Thorold (1808) White profile bust.

Gunby
St Peter
Margaret Massingberd
(no date) There is also a window dedicated to this lasy in the church.
NB I have not seen this monument: it looks like an enamelled bronze in a wooden frame but I should be grateful for further information.
Hainton - St Mary


Far left:
John Heneage (1435) and Alice: brasses.
Left & above: Purbeck marble tomb  of Sir Thomas Heneage (1553) and Kateryn, with kneeling brass effigies.
John Heneage (1559) and Anne (1587): Large standing monument with kneeling figures facing each other across a prayer desk.  William Heneage (1610 age 91) and two wives: Anne (1585) & Jane (1594)  Alabaster standing against wall with the kneeling figures facing each other and children below. On the top a relief of the Fall and Resurection. George Heneage (1595): free standing alabaster with recumbent effigy.


Left: Sir George Heneage (1660)
Above: Three Sir Georges (last 1697): tablet with skulls, bones and hour glass. Attributed to William Stanton.
Right: Lt Col Neil Frederick Heneage OBE (1953)
George Heneage (1731): A large marble tablet with bust and below busts of his two wives: Mary & Elizabeth.  By Bertuccini. George Robert Heneage (1833) Signed by S Manning Fct Frances Anne Heneage (1807 age 25) Wife of George Robert. By Bacon Jnr George Fieschi Heneage (1864) by Underwood of Camden Town. Son of George Robert and his first wife Frances Anne Ainslie. Frances Heneage (1842) Wife of George Fieschi (left) Died aged 31. By Manning
E J Wilson (1854) is buried in the church yard. 


 Harmston - All Saints    Haxey - St Nicholas  
  Sir George Thorold (1722) Former Lord Mayor of London. Bust wearing wig with a pair of weeping putti' (shown - left)

Sir Samuel Thorold (1738) similar to above but no wig.(shown - right) 
 
15th centry priest
 
 
 
Heydour - St Michael

 An exceptionally good set in the Newton family chapel:
Abigail Newton (1688), large wall monument by William Stanton
Sir John (1734), tablet by Rysbrack
Lady Newton (1737), standing monument with black sarcophagus with bust on top; by Peter Scheemakers.
Sir Michael (1746) Two life sized seated figures, between which a sarcophagus with urn; by Peter Scheemakers.(shown)
Margaret, Countess of Coningsby (1761), daughter-in-law of above; tablet by  Rysbrack

Honington
St Wilfred

William Smith (1552) incised slab on tomb chest
Thomas Hussey (1697) bust with wig
Dame Sarah Hussey (1714) three cherubs head above inscription

Houghton - All Saints
Sir Hugh de Bussey (1306) cross legged knight
Revd George Thorold AM, Rector of Houghton-cum-Marston (1823) books and chilice by P Rouw the Younger (shown - right)
Arthur William Thorold (1853) marble by Boucheau of London
Horbling - St Andrew     
 

Sir Thomas de la Launde (ex 1470) With is nephew Sir Robert Wells led a Lancastrian rebellion against Edward IV leading to the battle of Losecoat Field. They were both captured and executed in Grantham a week later.
 

Houghton-on-the-Hill - All Saints

Edward Payne (1728) standing monment of white sarcophagus before black obelisk. By Benjamin Palmer c. 1742
Thomas Payne (1642) identical, also by Palmer
John Marris (1785) by Edward Tatem
Arabella Ashton, wife of William Ashton of Brandon, Lincs (1792) She died age 42 giving birth to her eleventh child. The monument also to three of her children: Sancta, Charlotte and Catherine. By J Wallis (shown - left)
William Ashton (1826) age 72. By  R Marshall (shown- right)
The above two sculptors eventually went into partnership
Francis Musson (1837) by Collingwood of Grantham
top of page

Howell - St Oswald

Large grave slab with primitive crosses.
Lady & Child (14th century) Bust of lady in relief under a trefoil arch on a grave slab; below this is repeated with the bust of her daughter. (shown)
John Crosby, Rector (1470) incised slab with the figure under a canopy
Sir Charles Dymock Jacobean with kneelers
John Spenser, Rector 1424-48 inscription on the base of the  remains of the medieval cross in the church yard

Kelstern - St Faith

Elizabeth South (1604) alabaster standing monument. She is seated frontally, on her left a putto with spade and on her right a putto with skull and extinguished torch. Clock face in one of the spandrels of the arch above
Richard Parnell Booth of Culverthorpe  (1837) by John Earl of Hull

Kingerby St Peter
(redundant churches fund)
 
Left & above left: Knight (late 14th century)
Above right: Knight (14th century)
  puppies by pillow.

Far right: A Disney knight (late 14th century) only upper part of igure and shoes appear.
Also (not shown) Cecilia Young (1830) tablet by Durance of Lincoln; Other members of family have tablets also probably by the same
Laughton - All Saints


Above: Hugo Francis Maynell-Ingram and to his wife Emily Charlotte by T. Woolner (1874). There is another of these monuments at Hoare Cross, Staffordshire
Left: Lady c 1300 The face has been recut
Right: Brass of member of the D'Alison or Dalison family c 1400. It is now on the tomb of William (1546) and George Dalison (1549); the inscription records making the tomb in 1556 in the reign of King Philip and Queen Mary.
Lea - St Helen

Sir John de Treeampton (1350)
Leadenham - St Swithun

Elizabethan tablet with coat of arms.
Lady Jane Sherard (1851): mourning kneeling woman by an urn; by Gaffin.
Frances Reeve (1851): kneeling young woman; by T Gaffin.
General John Reeve and wife (both 1864): with figures of Faith and Hope; by Burke.
There are many other 18th and 19 century tablets.
Good slate headstones in the church yard.

 Lenton - St. Peter

                   
Armyne Family (erected 1605) Large limestone monument on the north wall of the chancel. Pevsner says it looks c.1570 (left)
Jane Chaworth (1606) Alabaster with a strapwork frame and inscription on south wall of the chancel.
Mrs Chaworth had 12 sons and 4 daughters.

With thanks to Elizabeth Heaton who contributed these photographs.


top of page

Thanks  to Sally Badham  for supplying further information about the monuments, especially the brasses and to Jean McCreanor for supplying many photographs. The drawings are from  Boutell's Christian Monuments

These pages are dedicated to Peter Fairweather, who was a Lincoln resident and a Church Monuments Society member of long standing  and who kindly allowed me to use many of his photographs on these pages and provided me with much information and advice.  Sadly Peter died in July 2006 after a long illness.

Return to previous ('Monuments') page click here  / <next, Lincoln> Pages <2> <3>