WARWICKSHIRE

 
Aston  Birmingham  Coventry Edgbaston  King's Norton Tysoe Warwick Wooton Wawen
BIRMINGHAM - CITY & SUBURBS
Birmingham - St Martin
Priest in choir vestments. Alabaster. Part of tomb chest.
Aston - St Peter & St Paul

Knight of c. 1360. Alabaster Sir William Harcourt late 15th century. Tomb chest Lady of c. 1490. Sandstone.
She lies on the same tomb chest as the 1360 knight, an amalgamation of the original two
    
Above: alabaster knight (c. 1360) (Ralph Arden ?) & sandstone lady (c. 1490) who lie on the same tombchest (see above)
Above Left & central: Sir Thomas Erdington (1433) & Joan (or Anne) Harcourt (1417) The monument is c 1460; alabaster
Right: Sir William Harcourt. Late 15th century. This is very similar to that of Sir Thomas
Bottom: William Holt (1518) & Jane sandstone


Above & right top: Sir Edward Devereux (1622) & Katherine (1627). Black/white marble & alabaster By William Stanton
Right- near: Edward Brandwood (1731), daughter, Mary Birch (1755), Sarah Brandwood (1762), Samuel Birch (1775), Elizabeth Brandwood (1781), Charles Birch (1782), Jane Brandwood
Right - central: Richard Culliford
Right - far:  Sir Thomas Holte (1654), who built Aston Hall

Edgsbaston - St Bartholomew
Gabriel Jean Marie de Lys MD (1831) With his father he escaped The Terror and was educated in this country, a fact refered to on the epitaph. The motto means 'Flourish as the Lily' a word play on his name. He co-founded the Deaf and Dumb Institution in Edgsbaston. By William Hollins Sir Richard Gough (1727) To the right is detail of the Boar's Head device which features on the weather vance of the Cathedral, in recognition of the family's generosity to that building Sir Henry Gough (1774) Rt Hon Lord Calthorpe (1798)
by King and Son of Bath
John (1814) & Martha (1817) Ryland
Frances, Lady Calthorpe (1827) Widow of Henry, Lord Calthorpe; her arms are shown on the right Georgiana Frances Sanders (1864) Sarah (1843), Elizabeth (1855) & Joseph (1855) Shore Henry Porter & his son, William. Also Henry Porter (1710) & Sarah Porter (1724) Jenny (1853), Jane (1854), James Bracey (1860), Henry Bracey (1879), Ernest Wenman (1879), James William (1888), Marianne (1892), Frederick d'Arcy (1897) & Caroline Mary Perry (1922)
     
William Withering (1799) Discoverer of Digitalis, writing a monograph on its use in heart disease. Note the symbol of medicine (snake and staff) and the flowering stem of Witheringia - named after him by the Linnaean Society in recognition of his botanical researches. By William Hollins  Samuel Wheeley (1831)  Robert (1830) & Elizabeth (1839) Smith. Daugher Henrietta Armitage (1826) Son Robert (1869) His sister Sarah  Bernard Sheppard Heaton (1798), Bernard Sheppard Heaton (1803), Bernard Sheppard Heaton (died in infancy), Elizabeth, 2nd wife, (1811) Joseph (1816) & Mary (1841) Ledsam
King's Norton
St Nicolas


Above & Centre: Sir Richard Gervis of Moseley (1632) & Lady Ann
Alabaster. Note the 4 sons and four daughters above; between is a poem
Top: John Eden (1797 age 6 years, 6 months. Second son of Robert & Susanna Mynors. Also the above Robert Mynors (1806)
Bottom: Robert Edward Eden Mynors (1842)

Tysoe - Assumption
Mid 14th C coffin lid
William Clarke (1618) A generous patron of the church

Coventry Cathedral
The old Cathedral suffered severe bomb damage in 1940 during World War II, leaving only the shell and the western tower. A new Cathedral, designed by Sir Basil Spence was concentrate in 1942; this latter very effectively adjoins the old building. There are no monuments in the New Cathedral and many were fire damaged in the Old.
No charge for entry or photography. Park in nearby (signed posted Cathedral) public car park.
Above:
Right: F
ire damaged but still legible wall monuments
Below: Fire damage monuments.
William Perkins (1821), his wife Leticia (1837) and daughters Mary & Leticia Dame Mary Bridgeman
Mrs. Eliza Sawmill
Chancel

Thomas Beauchamp, Earl of Warwick (1369) & Katherine Mortimer; daughter of the Earl of March.
Alabaster effigies and tomb chest. Against tomb chest are mourners, many are plaster or part plaster replacements.
He was the grandfather of Richard Beauchamp and fought at Crécy and Poitiers.

Chapter House

Fulke Greville, Lord Brooke (1628)
Six poster with two tiers of black columns. Black sarcophagus. Top is view of whole tomb from vestry; lower is view of sarcophagus from far side. This monuments fills the former chapter house and cannot be photographed in its entirety.
By Thomas Ashby

South Transept

William Hiorn (1776)
Architect-builder. Tablet with urn

Note the skeleton emerging from a shroud in and on the pediment
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 Warwick - St Mary

St Mary was a Collegiate church in the middle ages. It was damaged by fire in     and the nave later rebuilt but the chancel and Beauchamp chapel fortunately survived.
The Beauchamp Chapel

Richard Beauchamp, 13th Earl of  Warwick (1439)
Photographs of  the whole of the Beauchamp Chapel taken from the entrance, and several representations of the gilt-bronze effigy, the whole tomb and the weepers around the Purbeck Marble tomb chest..
The etchings of the effigy and the weepers are by C A Stothard and the steel plate engraving of the whole tomb is by E. Blore
 The 1448 contract for making this tomb survives: it indicates that it is not a portrait and refers to the following who were involved in its making: John Bourde of Corfe supplied the Purbeck Marble, William Austen of London cast the metal, John Massingham, carver, made the model, Bartholomew Lambespring, goldsmith, polished and gilded the effigy; one Roger Webb is also referred to in this contract but it is not known what his role was in the construction. A separate contract of the following year with William Austen to cast the effigy. A third contract of 1453 is for brass plates for the lid, sides and the hearse; in this contract John Essex of London , marbler and Thomas Stevyns of London, coppersmith, also appear with William Austen.
Cast gilt bronze effigy in armour on a Purbeck marble tomb chest. The Earl's hands are held in a curious separated position. Head on helmet with crest of a swan and his feet on both a bear and griffin. The details of the armour are very fine. Charles Stothard lifted the effigy down from the tomb chest to draw its dorsal surface where the armour is again shown in very fine detail. Over the whole is a hooped framework - the 'hearse' referred to above; this would have supported a fabric cover and only be removed when masses were said for his soul. Around the tomb chest are gilt bronze 'mourners' - seven male and seven female. One of these represents his son, Henry who became Duke of Warwick, another his wife Cecily Neville (daughter of the Earl of Salisbury) and another her brother Richard Neville, who inherited the Beauchamp estates to become 'Warwick the Kingmaker'.
Richard Beauchamp fought with Henry IV and Henry V and was guardian of the infant Henry VI. At the time of his death he was Governor of Normandy.

Ambrose Dudley, Earl of Warwick
(1589)
Alabaster and marble. Tomb chest with shields around. Recumbent effigy rests on a rolled up map, with a 18th century iron coronet. Bear at feet.  
He was the elder brother of Robert Dudley . 'The Good Earl'

Robert Dudley, Earl of Leicester (1588) & Countess Lettice (1634) Standing alabaster wall monument with two recumbent effigies. Columns either side with flat arch with motif of sixteen coloured flags radially arranged. To the left and right are statuettes and small obelisks. Grille by Nicholas Paris of Warwick, 1716.
Robert Dudley was a well known favourite of Queen Elizabeth I
The wooden tablet to Lettice Knollys, the Earl's second wife, is made to look like brass. The inscription tells us she died on Christmas Day 

North Vestry

Sir Thomas Puckering
(1639)   
Altar tomb and reredos in black and white marble. By Nicholas Stone

Francis Parker (1693)
Tablet with columns and open pediment.

North Transept

Thomas Hewett (1737)
Note the putti  reclining on the 'broken' pediment and the pile of books below

Thomas Oken (1573)
Brasses but the surround is later

South Transept

Thomas Beauchamp, Earl of Warwick (1401) & Wife
Brasses, now set high on wall. He was father of Richard Beauchamp, was exiled by Richard II in 1397 but restored by Henry IV in 1399
Henry Beaufoy & Wife
(c 1700)
Crypt

 Stone coffin lid (very deep) with head in low relief sunk in quatrefoil and Calvary Cross below. Not in situ
There are many grave stones in the floor and two burial vaults lead off, one sealed.

 

Lady Katherine Leveson
Marble Tablet
by Edward Marsall (1678) 

Robert Dudley, Lord Denbigh (1584 age 3)
 Alabaster standing wall monuments with recumbent effigy, bear at feet, head on pillow.
He was Robert and Lettice's only son and predeceased his father.
Called 'The Noble Impe'

 
Wooton Wawen - St Peter

John Harewell (1428) Alabaster

Francis Smith (1605)

 
 
top of page

 

Return to previous ('Monuments') page click here